Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Police siezing of private property...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Sep 25, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright, we were at a Bonfire last night. Well turns out the area is a no burn township(was unaware of that). So the fire department was called and the cops showed up. There were underage drinkers there so they took off(I am underage but wasn't drinking... yet). So everybody scattered and just waited till the cops left. Well when they left, we went back and found that they had taken one girls purse and phone, and all the folding chairs that were there. So is it legal for them to take this stuff? We have been calling the girls phone to no answer. They left cards on some peoples cars telling them to call. I know of at least 2 that called and talked to the cops, let them know they had just left their cars there while they went out with other friends. I think the cops are just looking for who to blame for the fire. But the cops told the two girls that called them, that they did not have permission to have the cars on the property and were there illegaly. We know this to be bull****. THe kid who had the party, his grandparents own the property(which is behind a trucking company owned by another kid who was present), in the end the cops are just lieing and took property belonging to a bunch of people there. So am I out of my mind to think it is kind of bull**** of them to have done that? I mean all they'd have to do to figure who to blame is talk to the property owners.

2. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

This is why i dont like alot of cops. One time back in high school, 4 years ago maybe, one of the cops who always at our school took some pictures out of my friends car. He said that the door was opened and he went to go close it when he saw these pictures on the seat. He ended up taking them cuz there were pictures from a party with like 50 kids and beer everywhere. Alot of kids got in trouble, b/c this cop went in her car. In high school my friends and me got in alot of trouble, nothing big tho, but ive learn that some are cool and understanding, and then most of them (that i met) are just total trash, they will lie or do anything to try and get someone in trouble.

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Dumbass should have left those pictures out of sight, and you blame the cop for doing his job.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yeppee, another "I Hate the Cops and I'm Gonna Talk Trash About Them With Absolutely No Factual Evidence For My Claims" thread....................

:saweet: :saweet: :saweet:

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

This is what you get for going to a high school party.:p:

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

By the way, did you actually witness the cops take this stuff?????????

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no but when the girls called the cops they informed them they took it all.

I'm not bashing the cops in anyway, they are doing their jobs and trying to find out who to blame for breaking the law. But as a cop, is it legal or right for you take that stuff?

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what i'm curious about is, why would cops steal folding chairs? :crazy: :haha:

that seems strange... ;)

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Cops don't just... ya know... TAKE stuff for no reason... Unless they don't like their job but don't have the balls to just quit :doah:

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm certain they did it so when people go to claim the stuff they can question them and try to find out who to blame.

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

So they can sit back and watch the arrestees ..........

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  12. ryoken

my guess would be, if they find it at the scene of a crime (the fire and drinking), they have the right to take anything they deem as evidence...

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm sure thats what they will say. The fact that anyone ran was stupid... I still have no idea why I did. Yes there were underagers but those of us that didn't drink and those of age should have stuck around and taken the probably $100 fire fine and it would all be over. Stupid but thus is human.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

We can confiscate anything we feel necessary as evidence in the course of an investigation. I will leave it at that. Some people might read into it way too far and whine about it and some people will take that for what it means and realize that most of us are not bad people, we're just regular people trying to do the best job possible.

In this situation, I would imagine they are looking for names to go with the property so they can issue citations for the people.

You see, when kids congregate like this on private property and the cops show up, the stupidest thing to do is hide and I will tell you why. My department and I imagine it's like this pretty much across the country, it's our policy that if we crash a party, our primary focus is to make sure everyone has a sober driver to get them home. We realize that there are going to be minors present, as long as everyone keeps a good attitude, everything is cool.

Now if people want to hide and stay away from us and once we get everyone on their way home and they still don't want to talk to us, then vehicles are getting towed and property possibly confiscated and tickets will be issued.

Attitude is everything....................... :D

15. ryoken

been there, done it...

its 5 minutes of my life that i'll kiss ass... what you guys where doing was illegal, maybe harmless and just having fun, but the cops are just trying to do a job...

boy i love a good bonfire and some beers tho! :D

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Like I said, hindsight 20/20. I would have stood and talked to the cops, but I damn sure wasn't going to be the only one. I was the last one at the fire as they rolled up and I was alone so yeah, I left.

17. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

actually as an underage person you would get in less trouble as the of age people. At all the pasture parties that i used to go to before i turned 21 the people who were of age usually took off and most of us that were underage would stick around. Sucks they took the stuff, but who's to say one of the poeple who got back first didn't take the purse and cell?

18. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh boy, come to MN for a few days...we need people like you up here. Generally beer is first confiscated (not dumped out, just taken) and then minors are handed out all around. If you run, you're generally chased and taken down if there aren't 100 other people doing the same thing....then written up for fleeing a police officer and drinking underage. Moral of the story...party in a house with lots of doors or a hidden attic.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the fact that someone called her shortly after people ran and they talked to a nice police officer who informed them they had her stuff.

Yes overage is usually a worse thing but if there were no underages around why would cops look for them?

20. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

There are two reasons the police take property.

1. Evidence - As stated, if they are investigating a crime, no matter how petty, they can seize anything that may be related to the crime. Or, they can use the property to further their investigation by trying to find the owner as Bubba said. The owner might not be guilty of a crime, but they might be able to identify somebody who is should they choose to.

2. Found Property - This is more common when the police show up at a scene and everybody runs leaving stuff behind. If the item has some value, then all the more reason the police will take it and book it as found property. If they can identify the owner, so much the better. Imagine that the police show up and there is a purse, cel phone, and other stuff there. They leave it behind and somebody else takes it, even though it might technically be on private property. Then the people come back looking for their stuff and who gets the blame? That's right, the police. So, the police book it in and when the owner shows up for it, they get it back. If this was theft by the police, they sure as hell wouldn't have left their business cards.

I think the key issues though in your story were the violation of the no-burn ordinance, the underage drinking, and the running. The property taken by the police is pretty much a minor issue. By the way, don't bet against the grandparents or a neighbor calling the cops in on the party too. Cops usually don't just show up in the middle of the boonies just for ****s and grins. Somebody dropped a dime...