Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Polishing compustion chambers???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

I heard that if you polish all the casting and make the combustion chambers smooth in old cast iron heads that it gets a better combustion and reduces the chance of pinging. Have any of you heard something like this??

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

it would make sense because there would be less rough surface for hot deposits to get stuck in..

3. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Yes. Less hot spots, and a smoother surface to promote faster flame travel. Can also take it to the next level and use a special coating to insulate the chamber.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

IMO if you are going to do this you need to get a cylinder head "cc" kit. It will come with a burette(sp?) and a plate that you bolt to the head. Than you can make each cylinder the exact same size so one cylinder doesn't have more compression than another (and ping sooner). If you don't want to go that far I would just skip it.

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

if your trying to get high rpm's out of the motor (above 4500 rpms)then I would CC the chambers as you polish them, then polish the exhaust ports to help the air flow...if your just looking to work the heads cause you have then out...then smooth out the chambers and clean up the exhaust ports some... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

might as well get a whole kit and port the heads yourself. Port match to intake, polish chamber, polish exhaust. don't polish intake, its suppossed to be a little rough to keep the air and fuel mixing. http://www.sa-motorsports.com/ they have a whole port and polish kit you can get from summit or jegs. They also have a DIY guide to head porting and block prepping. I'm very tempted to pull my heads on my motor and clean them up and port them, while I am working on my k5 the next few months.

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

when i pulled my old heads and rebuilt my current ones(corrvette 2.02 intake port)i polished the ports and cleaned up the inside of therunners as good as i could with a dremmel tool and it helped with power a little over how the engine i had them on the first time ran.