Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poll - cracked frame survey.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Jan 22, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just doing this for my own curiosity....also to see if it's worth spending $100 on the ORD frame reinforcement bracket.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1043282270heavy4x4">

Cracked frame at the steering box......
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />I have no aftermarket bracing and have no frame cracks (that I know of)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />I have no aftermarket frame bracing and cracked the frame at the box
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />I have the ORD bolt in brace, and have not cracked the frame (that I know of)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />I have cracked the frame at the box, despite having a ORD bolt in brace
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Thanks for taking this poll....if there are two options above that apply to your situation, state which in a reply. Or, if there isn't an option listed up there that you think should be, reply to this post. Thanks again.

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

The frame on IFS models is stronger at mounting point than SFA trucks.Don't know bout rest of it.Mine cracked where trans crossmember bolts in.This could be from 12 years of abuse couldn't it? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Mine has 14 years of Offroading and onroading so far frame is in perfect shape! I have gone over the outside of it with Black Rustoleum and have to pressure wash the inside of the frame before i spray it also. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Just doing this for my own curiosity....also to see if it's worth spending $100 on the ORD frame reinforcement bracket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing to be curious about...it should be the very first mod you make. If you want to run some tall tires and cross-over run the weld in kit and the bolt on brace. I'd be willing to bet over half of the K5's on this site have cracked frames or had one and it's been repaired./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The weakness at the box area is well documented...

Rene

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I may have been a little harder on mine than you.Been running Tellico since 88.Got me in Petersons once though in 91 for Smokey Mtn Trek and again in 94 or 95 they used pic of my truck over article.10 best wheeling spots in US.Never listed name though.Plan to submit for Ultimate Adventure this year.Mabey I'll get lucky. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer in TENN. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Bought a 74 Blazer. When I got it down to just the frame I found that there were multiple cracks radiating out from the rear passenger side shock hole. Some had been welded, some were new. Same for driver side rear shock mount. The steering box area had a major weld job. looks like not only did the frame crack, but it damn near cracked in half. Someone welded in 1/8 plates on the inside as well as welding multiple cracks. I just welded in the frame brace and will also use the bracing kit from ORD. I recommend you do preventive maintenace.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know that it's a common problem with these vehicles...hence me looking at getting one.
    But, I had this funny theory...maybe the brace concentrates any frame movement right at the box - thus helping the frame crack as well...so I wanted some data to see if my idea was at all correct. So far, the results are proving me wrong. I'll probably end up buying one this summer.

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Honestly, The better idea would be the weld in repair kit...it doubles the frame thickness in that spot. For true strength, do the weld in kit and the brace, you won't be dissapointed. The other thing, as suggested in Petersens, is to replace the stock rivets with grade 8 bolts. It firms everything up. I got that from an article on Chevy frame strengthening...

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Not only does the weld in kit double the frame thickness in that area the underside plate also get's tied into the sway bar mount increasing triangulation to help stiffen up the area.

I'm running the weld in kit and have a bolt on brace waiting to go on...

Rene