Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poll: Gov-Locks or not?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NerdBoy, Mar 8, 2004.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I have an opportunity to pick up a set of 10 bolt gov-locks, no charge. What do you folks think? Will it be worth it to change out my standard 10-bolts for these?
    (I don't have the money for real lockers, and these are free)

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

leave it open
    save up for a 14bff and a detroit.. will be much less hassle than installing govlocks and blowing them up, then reinstalling a 14bff and detroit

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Are the Gov-Locks that much weaker than the standard open carrier?

4. Confedneck

i blew up my govlock with 33s behind a worn out 350 and a 4 speed.. when i took it apart, the govlock carrier and parts seemed so cheap, like potmetal, maybe you could get them and sell them.. but IMHO, its not worth it to install them after the fact..

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Get them to resell, just make sure they are for the 8.5".

They really are weaker, if you never planned on using them hard, they are fine, but big tires, wheelspin, pulling out of the driveway, etc., will all do them in.

They work great in daily driver rigs, and really moderate wheeling (again, no wheelspin) but other than that, I doubt there is a truck setup that is weaker than the 8.5" 10 bolt gov-lock, except maybe the 7.5" gov-lock /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

if you can get them free do it. but only if you arent into hardcore stuff if they break who cares /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    it sounds like you arent just going to go out and buy a new 14 and 60 so do what you can to make your rig work that much better.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get them free, and sell them on ebay. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'd get 'em and sell them. Try not to get them close to the truck or else your K5 might catch some kind of gov-loc disease...not sure though...if you can't sell the pos's, you can always throw them off a cliff like David Letterman...

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I always thought , with my easy driving style, I would be the one to have a long lasting govlock. I was wrong. Driving home on a street with 31's , I broke my Gov-loc. No fun car-pooling to work in your old ladies car. Look where the bolt on my crosshaft used to go, you don't want to lose a c-clip. [​IMG]

10. Confedneck

nerdboy.. heres a couple more pictures of GovLock Carnage..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Confedneck

nerdboy.. heres a couple more pictures of GovLock Carnage..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    that was in a half ton on 33s and no lift truck.. it finally let loose when i figured "nows as good a time as any" and let it eat across 3 empty lanes..

it first started acting up after a couple trips of flexing out and yanking out a framed s-blazer from a ditch.. they dont hold up to light stuff like that, and when you lift a wheel they dont like it at all..

anyways.. get em, then sell em for 15 bucks each and call it a day..

12. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

do not i repeat do not put one up front unless you like changing axle shafts. Gov locs work on a difference in wheel speed between the two tires. So when your stuck and you increase your wheel speed....BAM the other tire tries to acclerate very quickly....Axle shafts do not like this very much /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

if they are the same spline count as yours i'd take them for spares.i wouldnt even bother trying to resell them, not worth the hassle. dont put them under your truck, just salvage the shafts,drums,etc. if you want a cheap locker save your money and get one of those plug in ones, they are like 200 and you can do it yourself.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Try 300-400, not 200.

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

GOOD GOD MAN /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif. Don't even think about swapping in a govlock. Get as far away from them as possible. I would put one in my truck again if someone paided me.

I destroyed my 10 bolt rear govlock with only 32" tires and a stock 350. I just did a hard take off and BOOM. Bye bye govlock, hello $1000 axle rebuild bill.

Harley

16. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

You should take them and find the closest 30 ton press, set them in there, and smash them into ashtrays.

Seriously though, my 90 ate its Gov-Lok about a year ago. I took it to Randy's Ring and Pinion here in Everett, WA. The guy said that he hadn't seen that much carnage in a couple of years and asked if I actually drove the truck to the shop. He was amazed it still moved. That was on a stock 1/2 ton 10 bolt with 31 inch tires. About as tame as you can get. I ended up replacing the ring, pinion, carrier, limited slip, bearings, and left axleshaft.

That was before I realized that I could have converted to a 14FF for about half the price. Oh well. Don't make the same mistake by actually choosing to put that junk in your truck.

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt even waste my time.