Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poll: How much did your wife's wedding ring cost?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Mar 25, 2006.

?

How much?

1. Under $100

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. $100 to $200

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. $200 to $300

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. $300 to $500

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. $500 to $750

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. $750 to $1,000

7 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. $1,000 to $1,500

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. $1,500 to $2,000

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  9. Over $2,000

27 vote(s)
    31.4%
  10. Who cares, I'm nekkid!

23 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Just wondering...

Does a big rock on a woman's hand mean that her husband loves her more than if she had only a gold band? Or is it that he is a fool that is controlled by said woman who demands a big rock because she wants to show off to her friends? Or he feels like he really needs to show her how much he cares, but he's inadequate at expressing his emotions and feelings of love, and therefore unnecessarily overcompensates by buying a big rock? Or is he insecure in the relationship?

Maybe someone can explain to me the benifits of an expensive ring?

I think it's a meticulously operated scam by the jewelry shops to extract $$$ from men during an emotionally sensitive time by tricking them into buying an expensive ring... "to show her how much you really care..."

2. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The one I bought I felt fit her, it really didnt matter too much what the price was. luckly it was under a thousand and she loves it

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

70$ for her first one, with the warranty!:D

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Lisa's ring cost me 2300.00, but it was what she wanted, and I could afford it at that time. we did a nice wedding on a budget, ( less than 7 grand for everything ), so it sort of evened out.

What's important is, we got her a good diamond. there's a difference between spending 2 grand at a quality jeweler, and spending 2 grand at a "chain" jeweler in a mall. Diamonds aren't like cars, they actually appreciate in value, and good ones appreciate more.

My motivation was really just to make her happy and to get her what she wanted. I don't need to spend money to prove anything, as I really don't care what other people think. If she was happy with a cheaper one, I would have gotten it.. I'm easy.

I think the reasons behind why people spend money on blingy stuff are as varied as the people themselves. Of course, if the person is an egotistical jerk, then yeah, you can use their choice of jewelery against them.. if they're nice people, you probably won't notice what they're wearing anyway.

Unless you're being hitched to a materialistic witch, ( you should know by this point if you are or not), just have an idea of what's affordable, get her what she wants, based on that, and be happy. If she bitches about what's " affordable", dump her. immediately. If you don't, you'll be trapped in the game of bribing her with shiny stuff every time you want something, among other misery.

Tom

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

1700 but that was 15 years ago in the Marines so It was a months pay, Her 10 year anniversay ring was a lot more. funny thing is neither one of us ever wear our rings unless we are going out, then she wears hers. And stick to a good jewelry story you will get a smaller but higher quality for your money, We used Mervis and there stuff is good

6. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Cost me 10 years of my life that I want back.

7. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The first ring I bought was like $1300.00 or so. She wanted a band to match it so I was going to have one custum built but I waited to long so I just bought her a whole new one with two bands and more diamonds was another $900.

The whole diamond thing is a farce, what makes a diamond better then a ruby? The market is controlled by the Debeers(sp) company John Stousel(sp) did a really good piece on them on 20/20. Girls in the early 1900's didn't care what a diamond was it wasen't until like the 40's that the company pushed them to be what they are now. They really aren't that rare just the market is controlled.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Same here. April 20th would be our 10th anniversary but hell no, she wanted out so I'm giving it to her.

BTW, I didn't pay a dime for her rings. She got her grandmothers rings to keep/use. So that helped a lot then. :bow:

9. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I paid three hundred for her ring and had the engagment ring appraised for 3000.00. I used Family stones and I made up a poem about the rings cause I'm a sentimental fellow. It should never be about the cost of the ring, but remember your whole wedding is an investment. In most cases if she is demanding the expensive ring you probably won't get that strong of a return, but if she know s that the value of the ring is not the value of the marriage, Your return will be inmeasurable! Coome on Show us your STONES!:haha: :doah: :wink1: :D ;) :thinking: :tongue1: :cool: :k5: :yikes: :xmas:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I bought my wife a simple gold band. 23 years later she still wears it. Even tho she has many "Rocks". If she was the type of woman who expected a big ol expencive BLING wedding ring. I never would have married her.
    Besides the ring she cost me 2 good ponys, a knife, and my best rifle. I got a bargain.

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

wedding rings are the cheap ones... 2-300 engagement rings are the $$$ my wifes engagement ring is in the over $2000 option

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  12. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

were going to call you Money bags Branndon... LOL

13. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My wife and I have silver wedding bands-she doesn't like gold. HOWEVER, on her finger is my grandmothers ring. Its like 90 years old, 22K gold with a 2 ct mine cut diamond. The jeweler tried to trade me out of it when I had it resized for my wife. I declined.

14. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

I got lucky since my wife is not like one of those high maintenance materialistic ladies that are out there. Her engagement ring was a simple $15 silver ring that we picked out together and was originally for me, it didn't quite fit though. A few days later I used it to pop the big ??????. She loves it. Our wedding rings we had custom made and they were just over $800 for the set. White gold with a matching Celtic design. The place we got them does an engagement ring to match that I plan on getting her for an anniversary.

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i got christina a small whitegold band with a line of small saphiers (sp, blue ones :) )
    for a promass ring that became the engagement and wedding ring.

i was going to buy her a matching ring with dimonds in it but she lost her ring, so i will have to get it agian first.

my ring is a 90$ titanium, band from ebay, i would have killed a gold one, ti is the way to go :waytogo:

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've bought two sets (only one wife). The 1st was when we were young & poor. The bands came from a pawn shop and were about $50. The "engagement ring" was her grandmother's. I call it the engagement ring because it was the one with a diamond. 10 years later I bought her another set-white gold & platinum with one big rock and several small ones. The new one doesn't mean I love her more because it cost more-they are just rings after all-it was just something I wanted her to have. When I asked her to marry me I didn't even give her a ring. If she was materialistic she never would have said yes. Both of us are kind of odd though, and that might be why our relationship works.

17. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My wifes engagement ring was around $1700. It's less than 3/4 of a carat though. The diamonds are good quality though. He wedding band was around $500. Both are Platinum. I got a plain white gold band cause I am hard on jewelery, and I'm cheap LOL.

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

what ever a loaf of bread cost. that twist tie fits all.:haha: :haha:

19. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The first ring cost $1200
    The second ring (20 years later) cost $3200

20. gauder

gauder Banned

My wife's ring is appraised and insured at 14.