Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POLL Ignition Module or Fuel Pump??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5freak44, Mar 23, 2006.

?

Fuel Pump or Ignition Module needs replacing?

1. Ignition Module

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Fuel Pump

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

I think im close, after replacing the fuel filter, EGR. Idle Control Sensor, and Throttle Body rebuild, i have decided i either need to replace my fuel pump or ignition module. I also checked the timing and its fine. Still havent checked for codes tho.

Ive got a 91 TBI 5.7 and the idle on it is in and out like its trying to die. When i accelerate is is very slow and seems to try and die while accelerating. Takes like a block to get up to 30 mph. :(

What do you think???

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

CHeck the fuel pressure at the TBI. That should give you a clue if the pump is going bad or the sock on the pump is plugged. I had a similar problem when my fuel filter got plugged but you already changed that.

Its also pretty easy to check if you have a good spark. Just have one of your friends put his pinky inside a disconnected plug wire while you start it.

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i was told that because i have tbi that i cant do a standard oressure test on the fuel line

4. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Yes you can. You have to test the fuel pressure at the fuel filter on the passenger fuel filter. You'll need to use a TBI fuel pressure tester kit like the Actron III CP7817F. I bought mine on E-bay brand new and I paid 1/2 the price than retail.

See http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16175 for TBI fuel pressure tester kits.

5. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

Plugged catalytic converter, maybe?