Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poll - Input needed for new project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pugsley, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Well, the Blazer gets a new home Saturday, and I end up with a 95 Jimmy/forums/images/icons/frown.gif - atleast it's not an import, right? Anyhow, I've also got some bucks set aside to purchase a new project truck, and am undecided amongst some of the options. Here's a list of what I've found and been thinking for each.

69 K10 stepside - Full resto-mod package?
    74 "C5" Blazer - Prerunner - naturally
    76 C10 - See 74 Blazer
    71 K5 - Dunerunner/restomod?
    70 C10 - Vintage Mickey Thompson type prerunner

I've also found a few dozen other offerings, but these are the ones that stand out in my head - any sound like they have the potential for much coolness?

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

The S10's aren't all that bad. Fit some 235/75R15 MT's and they do pretty good for IFS wheeling./forums/images/icons/smile.gif Reliable family transportation that can legitimately go offroad. 4lo with a powerful V6 and rear wheel drive.

My vote is for the 71 K5./forums/images/icons/cool.gif I missed a chance on a 72 K5 and always cringe when I think of it./forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Only problem with the Jimmy really is that it has the complete goober package (including a luggage rack and fake gold fender trim) - Just a little too "Soccer Mom" for my blood, ya know? Anyhow, keep the input coming!

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Hahaha, it isn't the pine green scheme is it? With the weird, busy looking rims? Polished aluminum with these V spokes? Man, those things are all over here (Western Michigan).

Still, I think the gold trim can be taken off with a heat gun, or am I remembering things. Maybe some GM color matched touch up paint?/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Only bad things I can think of with the S10's are the front actuators pooping out. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.4x4posi-lok.com>http://www.4x4posi-lok.com</a> makes a mechanical replacement.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

74 Blazer...too cool!

My 2 cents!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

It's the maroon one with the funky rims - and "Limited" or something like that embroidered in the seats. I told the wife all that it's missing is the "My kid was inmate of the month at....." or whatever else stickers/forums/images/icons/wink.gif......She suddenly misses the yuppie jokes about her Cherokee/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I too have been contemplating building a '73-'75 2wd blazer. Fabtech makes a long travel kit for it and 3'' spindles. They are super easy to update to a '91 front clip, but look even cooler if you run a '98 with fiberglass fenders and hood. Add a sb400 and some 35''-37'' tires and you have one bad ass prerunner. Besides, how many full convertable 2wd's do you see?

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

69 K10 stepside - Full resto-mod package?
    74 "C5" Blazer - Prerunner - naturally
    76 C10 - See 74 Blazer

<hr></blockquote>
    '69 Stepside Prerunner gets my vote. Just because I would like to have one myself.

9. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I'll have to go with ALL OF THEM/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif. In all seriousness, I would choose the 2WD '74. That would be very cool to be able to jump 5-10 feet in the air and not break anything. Somebody on this board has a 73-75 Pre-Runner that looks very sweet. He made his own custom interior out of diamond plate. Very SWEET.

Evan

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

So far the 74 is leading the pack - the 69's been eliminated from the running after seeing the horribly cobbled drivetrain (D44 8 lug front with a 10 bolt rear - Scary, huh?), and the complete mess of a 454 shoved under the hood. The 74 looks all original, it's even got the "old fart performance package", including an ACTUAL OPERATING 8-TRACK PLAYER hanging under the dash to supplement the tunes (or lack thereof) on the AM, saddleblanket seat covers that in no way match the interior, a dash mounted compass the size of a basketball, running boards, and some giant roof mounted jonboat rack looking contraption - also got those ultra-trick perforated aluminum foil looking sunscreen things on the side windows. All for the low price of $1600.

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

'71 K/5 made into a sand dune screeamer!
    Thats where it's at dude! First gen blazers!
    Not only will you be spanking everyone up the sand dune hillclimbs... but from stoplight to stoplight too! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'D VOTE FOR THE 71 K/5. I'M STILL KICKING MYSELF FOR SELLING THE 72 K/5 I HAD WITH THE 454, 4-SPEED, 76 3/4 TON AXLES WITH 4:10 GEARS.