Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

poll - lockers, posi's and ice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jul 7, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

poll - lockers, posi\'s and ice

OK,

I got some guy in town here that is telling me when you 'lock or posi a vehicle' you are committing it to off-road only. I wanna lock up my k5, detroit in rear and a posi or arb in front. he tells me you can NOT drive a vehicle like this on slick roads at ALL.

I'm not talking about using this thing to communte (my communite is about 15 feet) or driving all over. I'm just talking about using the thing around town here to go to the groccery store etc.

what is everybodie's experience / take on this??? I know I read a post earlier from somebody that said they used one without any problems. and to re-asset my conditions here, I will get ice on the roads here for over a week at a time. there is not salt used on the roads here.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Re: poll - lockers, posi\'s and ice

I have run tighter posi's on ice w/out much problems... lockers I can't really speak of though... no experience, but I too have heard both sides of the equation... some say it just takes getting used to and others say it is scartey as heck.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v run a lot of trucks with posi and lockers in the rear with absoulity no problem in the ice and snow. But I have had only one vehicle with posi in the front. It was a 67 Scout . it was kind of hard to turn on the Ice when the front was locked in. but nothing turns real well on the ice. Usually I never had to use 4x4 on the street unless the snow was deep . So it was never a problem.
    I am also considering putting a lockrite limited slip in the front of my K5. But i have a 20 mile commute on the freeway. It can get pretty bad in the winter and I dont know if a locker on the front would be good at higher speeds in ice and snow.So I am interested in the responses to this post too

<font color=orange>GOT HORSEPOWER?</font color=orange>

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have heard of a spool giving problems on ice because of the wheels both turning with NO slip, it tends to push you through a turn and on ice you would spin around and crash in a firey blaze. But with a detroit or a posi there is supposed to be some wheel slip when it sences a change it tire speed (like around corners ect.) and that should be ok.

5. solowookie

top...

thanks for the info guys! [​IMG] I'm sure there is a LOT more info on this subject, and I know I'm not the only one that wants to hear it.

6. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

if you have a dana 60 in front it is strong enough to lock in only one hub, problem solved, as for the rear the tail will get a little happy but as long as one wheel is pulling from the front w/some decent driving skill you should be able to keep it facing the right direction, just dont let your wife drive it!!!!

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Go for the ARB in front - best of both worlds.

What diff you gonna run in the rear (which truck are we talking about LOL). The ARB is supposedly still under development for the 14ff - we will see.

The locking rear will give you problems when it is slick. But if it
    is that slick you are having probs anyway - go SLOW. I think both tires providing umph will help then. Is it bad enough that you need traction devices where you live? Chains and posi on ice would be good I think but I haven't done that.

Personally I like a good posi on ice/snow/fresh rain. I like adrenaline.

Dave

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have Auburn Pro at both ends....on ice, I just leave it in 2wd with front hubs unlocked.....there is not enough traction on ice to overcome the bias, so lockers and posi's "act" the same on ice....if you let off the gas, then engine compression acts like brakes, which allows the rear to want to come around.....in winter driving, the trick is to remember that a sliding wheel wants to lead (either braking or driven)....if you apply the emergency brake on ice, the rear will want to come around...same if you let off the gas on an icy bridge for example.....for that reason, I use only 2wd on ice and packed snow.....in soft or deep snow, then a posi or locker may be of some help, but steering issues arise when the front slides either from braking or from being driven (4wd).....ice sux no matter what.....if you get That much ice, then you may consider studs or chains....I wouldn't use chains on front in a pavement situation and unless you have Massive clearance.....anybody can go fast on ice/snow....the trick is to steer and stop to get around those idiots that drive too fast for road conditions no matter what kinda vehicle they are in.....just an opinion mixed with some experience.....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

9. solowookie

oh there is definately ice on the roads here. on my travel vehicle I do run studded snow tires in the winter.

I live at 7000 feet. last year there was snow in my back yard that never melted from late oct. to the middle of march. (it melted most other places just in the shade there where the wind couldn't get to).

I think I'm gonna put an arb in the front, and wait for the 14b ff arb for the rear. I'll just have to be extra careful when I put the thing in gear. either that or I'll get and eaton or something that I'll jerk for the winters here. (that would be a pain in the *ss though)

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I live in upstate NY and I used to leave the front locked all winter so I could have 4wd at any time. Half way through this winter I had a Lockrite and a Truetrac put in and it was quite a change. I tried 4wd once and hated it with the lsd in the front, the front end tried to plow through corners. Now I just leave it in 2wd all winter. It's a lot more predictible now because I know the rearend is going to drift around corners due to the locker. Before it would let go randomly as each tire turned differently. Now that I know it's going to get loose I'm ready for it and just drift around corners everywhere (scares the SH!T out of everyone else!![​IMG]) It does unlock and drive normal at low speeds, even on black ice (pulling into a parking spot).
    You definitely have to change your driving style and I wouldn't let anyone else drive it. The increase in traction is very helpful too, I used to spin one wheel leaving stop lights on slick roads but now it just takes off. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. Driving with a rear locker isn't nearly as bad as everyone says, you just have to remember that it's back there and know what it does. Now that I've got mine locked I love it and would never go back to an open diff. If you do put in a locker take it to a big open parking lot and get used to what it does when you corner and brake, and have fun!! I can do kick ass donuts now!

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

11. solowookie

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I can do kick ass donuts now!

<hr></blockquote>

hey, that should be all the reason anyone would ever need to put a locker in to run on ice! [​IMG]

one thing that scares me is running something in a vehicle that 'everyone' can't drive. I have too many people that may drive my vehicles here and there and I'm not willing to run something that may make it hard for other people to handle. also if I run something like that my wife won't drive it enough to get used to it, and that is just not an option.

12. 2Dogs

ARBs sound ideal for you. Call ARB and harass them about the 14FF setup. If they have bad news look for another suitable diff that you can put ARB lockers in - maybe a rear d60.....
    Do you already have a 14FF for the ride in question?

Dave

13. solowookie

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

ARBs sound ideal for you. Call ARB and harass them about the 14FF setup. If they have bad news look for another suitable diff that you can put ARB lockers in - maybe a rear d60.....
    Do you already have a 14FF for the ride in question?

<hr></blockquote>

yea there is a 14B FF sitting under it right now... I'm gonna give arb a call.

14. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have a Detroit in the rear 14bff and an ARB up front. I have never had any problems on the ice or snow, we have a cabin up in the mountains that sees snow all winter. It just takes a steady application of power and driving smartly. The only time I hate the rear Detroit is when I am out on the trails in the snow and come upon a sidehill that is hardpacked snow or ice...the rear end ALWAYS tries to step out toward the downhill side (and that is usually a big dropoff!) I guess that is probably the only place I wish I had the ARBs in the rear as well as the front. I think all the horror stories you hear about lockers and ice/snow are due to the same reason that you see so many supposedly "4 wheel drive" SUVs sliding off the roads - because people jump in and expect to be able to race down the road and have full control! It's just experience and that good ol advice to "take it slow and easy" (see, Dad's are usually right!) [​IMG]

15. solowookie

I called ARB today, and they told me they should have a locker out for this within the next year. I'm think I'm going to bide my time until then.

the other thing I was thinking about is if I'm off-roading this thing open most of the time and only locking up when needed it should be a LOT easier on the drive train parts. if you eased off the gas real well when in 4wd then my d44 should hold up OK.

16. 2Dogs

Don't suppose they mentioned price yet....

Get on a waiting list Solo - you know the demand will be outrageous!

Can someone please refresh my memory on the reasons for the delay? I know it has been discussed here......

Dave