Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*POLL* NON-K case TH400/205? doubler owners check in!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Nov 25, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

So, I've got a line on a tight TH400 and NP205 out of an 86 1 ton. Its been rebuilt, and I have to say the 205 is very tight. I also know the 400 was working fine when it was pulled. My BIGGEST CONCERN here is that the TH400 is NOT a K-case transmission, meaning that the bellhousing is much thinner than its heavy-duty K-case brother.

Understanding that I plan to install a doubler behind this setup, should I be really concerned with the NON K-CASE TH400? The bellhousing does seem rather thin. Having said that, please vote on my poll below:

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1069791254KRAZIE87K5">

TH400, NON K-CASE OR NOT?
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Run the NON-K-CASE, replace it later when/if it breaks
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />DON'T run that junk, you'll break it right away
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />I run a NON-K-CASE in my doubler, no problems here!
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />I wouldn't run a NON-K-CASE if someone gave it to me!!!! Throw that junk away!
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Secondly- What do you think this setup is worth???

VOTE ON THE PRICE RANGES HERE PLEASE!!!

Thanks for voting, yet again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i have always run a non K case. no jumping = no problems

3. KRAZIE87K5

Thanks for voting Zakk! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

I think a friend of mine has broken 5 or 6 now /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif They have been both versions of 400 that have broken. Although 2 of them were low range pavement holeshots. That is with the factory crossmember and side load mount on the side of the 305. Hes got an injected big block and 44 boggers.

5. KRAZIE87K5

Cornfed-

Would you mid describing what happeened on one or two of the occasions when the non K case BH broke/shattered? What other parts were taken out as a result?

Thanks for your info! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

6. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Nothing else broke because of it - the case cracked right in front of the adaptor bolts. The last one was totally his fault. Some kid wiped out hard at the dunes and we were driving all over with him trying to find his parents. Brian got bored when we were on the road out of the camping area and I looked back and he was romping on it and letting off trying to get the front end up - I shook my head at him and sure enough when we stopped the tranny fluid was pouring out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Another one was sand dunes related - days before leaving for top truck. Another one was on the street in front of his house trying out the brand new tranny - lasted to 7-11 and part way back /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The trannys been swapped so many times either for breakage or slippage I lose track of what caused them and whether or not they were k cases. His burbs probably a ton or more lighter now since all thats left is the dash so that may help in the breakage dept. One thing that would probably help is to add a second set of T/C mounts under the 203 or doubler.

7. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I was running a non K TH400 with a 203 and broke one of the bolt holes off the bell housing. I got it welded. But there is no telling when/how I did it. My doubler is on the way. We will see what happens.

8. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd go with a "K" case...
    because I broke a Non-K case th 350 with a 203 attached to it..
    Yes..I broke-it getting some AIR...

If you're gonna spend $1000 on a doubler...
    what's anouther $100-150 for a "K" case??? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've never broken my SM 465 bellhousing...

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

10. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

way to go rene!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

If this is for a doubler, isn't the tail shaft in the 205 version 400 different than the 203 version 400 ?

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    TH400 and NP205 out of an 86 1 ton

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither one of this stuff will work for the Doubler. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You need the 400 that has the 203 output length shaft. Its the shortest of all 400 versions in the 4x4's.

You also need the 205 from '84 and older as the '85 and newer will not work because of the round 6 bolt pattern adaptor and the length of the input shaft on the 205 sticks out longer.

I would still buy this setup you are looking at and either run it as the combo alone and find the correct 400 and 205 as you round up the Doubler parts and build that as one unit so you can remove the '86 400/205 and drop in the other unit in one day or two. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yes it is. The 205 version is longer than the 203 version. But some people use the other versions with a different adapter to mate with a 203 by redrilling the range box to match the adapter.

15. bigbadburb

bigbadburb 1/2 ton status

oh yeah i broke 2 of them in the blazer before the burb existed without a doubler but hey i admit there has been a few that could have been avoided if i did not like the feel of 44s sqwaukking on pavement but i am thrue changing trannys i am thru with all that(yeah right)