Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*POLL* OK or ugly?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skigirl, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Have these wheels laying around, thought they might be better than the rustbucket stuff on now, but wanted your opinion.

So... Here's what the truck looks like, and the wheels I have.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

there not HORRIBLE....but I like the other ones better...just rattle can those ones black /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    or u can leave em!! up here we call those metal flake orange!

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Kinda look like old Western wheels , clean em up and run em' /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I believe they are supposed to black everywhere except the facing edges which were aluminum , kinda like the Dukes of Hazzard car /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    there not HORRIBLE....but I like the other ones better...just rattle can those ones black /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    or u can leave em!! up here we call those metal flake orange!

[/ QUOTE ]

yep what he said

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    up here we call those metal flake orange!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, those look like the ol' gold & chrome modulars... a blast from the past. Gold center section with a chrome outer wheel. Don't see too many of those around anymore.

I'd prolly stick with the ol' gold ones. Maybe you could take some coke and aluminum foil to em and get that bling bling back in 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The others are ok..but, I have never really been a big fan of the hurricane wheels... sooooo....

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yep, they are the old gold and chrome. They're pretty rough now. Honestly don't know if they'd clean up or if it's worth the trouble. The ones in the pic came with some beat up swampers on, included when I bought the truck, so now I have the black wheels just sitting around taking up space.

I am also considering just ponying up for new wheels.

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

i'd media blast those huricans and run those! Actually I'm wanting a set of those for the DD /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif so on second thought you better not use them, you can send them my way /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'd have them turbines spun and checked it they were close to true. If they are I would clean them up and go for it. You could have those bead blasted to remove the paint or get some aircraft paint remover thats alumiunum safe. Re paint them and reveal the vanes.

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Clean 'em up and run 'em (ignore the fact that my truck was a stocker back then without any rust, scratches, or dents).

[​IMG]

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

take the gold/chrome, have them blasted and then paint them black; although for the hassle and cost, you could probably buy some new black ones for about the same price /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input guys! Grimmy - yea, good idea on seeing if they're true first...

The other option is to go with these, tho I really didn't want to spend the money.
    [​IMG]

Oh, the decisions...

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

bah, dont spend $ on the bling alloys, just clean up those black ones and run them. Lil bit of wire wheel action and some primer will be good and cheap and you can spend your k5-dollar somewhere more useful. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

14. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I would use the ones that are on the K5 because they use a conical seat lug nut. The aluminum turbine wheels look like they have the shank style lugs that go through the wheel. I had some like this before and the holes were oxidized and wouldn't mount the wheel centered on the hub and would work loose easily.

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

i would just prep those ones you have on there and paint them flat black.They would look new. 20$ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would use the ones that are on the K5 because they use a conical seat lug nut. The aluminum turbine wheels look like they have the shank style lugs that go through the wheel. I had some like this before and the holes were oxidized and wouldn't mount the wheel centered on the hub and would work loose easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh. Thank you. Hadn't thought of that. You're right. The current wheels have conical lugs, the turbines don't.

Anybody interested in some turbines cheap? (Prolly not worth shipping)

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The ones on the truck are much cooler looking...get em bead blasted and paint them black.

Rene

18. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Not to say that they are bad, I just haven't had any luck with them. I agree with Rene and a couple others on here that the gold center mods would look cool if they were blasted and painted the color of your choice.

19. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, I think that's what I'll do - fix up what I have on the truck now. The design is OK, just weird with the gold stuff. Well, and the rust. I wanted black rims anyway. It'll be an easy cheap fix.

Bye bye turbines...