Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poll, Opinions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CDA 455, Oct 5, 2006.

1. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Question/poll for the audience:

Would it be sacrilegious/stupid/sinful, etc., to drop a '72 Pontiac 455 in my '72 CST Blazer?

I have a '72 Pontiac Grande Prix that my dad ordered from the factory (kind-of family heirloom). It's now a heaping rust bucket (coastal car). Along with the 455 is a Turbo 400 tranny. The damn thing is a torque monster-420ft-lbs of torque stock! With minimal mods I can easily get it up to 600ft-lbs.
    Motor mounts wouldn't be an issue :weld: :grind: :hack: :D .
    My main reason for thinking of doing this is money-related. For approx. $3000.oo I can build an engine that can easily rival the Chevy ZZ572. As well as keeping the family heirloom!

Any input-yes/no, and opinions-fore or against, is welcomed!!

2. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bottom line is it's your truck, do whatever works for you.

Would I do it? Sure, given the same situation.

It's what hot rodding is all about, using whatcha got! :bow:

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Go fer it!!! Different is good. Your best bet on the tranny is look for a mid /early 60s Wagoneer. They came with Buick 350 motors and T400 trannies. I'm not sure what T case bolted to the back of them, though. Might save you the hassles of trying to adapt a Chevy trans to your Pontiac motor.:D

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I say go for it too - it is cool to be different and you will get the WOW factor when you open the hood and people see something different than the run of the mill SBC.

5. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    i agree drop that torque monster in that big'o bay

6. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

you asked for opinions, so heres mine.

I personally will never build anything but a SBC again. I decided to drop a big block in my 77 vette and $12k later i had a torque monster as well.

My point is: if you vere away from anything but a small block chevy then hopefully you have a lot of money. By the time its all said and done you could build 2 or even 3 high horsepower small blocks for what you'll spend on a BBC, pontiac, ford, dodge, whatever. Theparts are everywhere and they are cheap.

Just my 2 cents