Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*POLL**PICS* Tool box or not?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Jan 7, 2006.

?

Leave the tool box, or not?

1. Ya, it's cool, leave it there.

44.0%
  2. No, it looks stupid, take it off.

18.0%
  3. My tool box is better than your tool box.

20.0%
  4. I'm naked and don't really care about your silly tool box.

18.0%
  1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I can't decide if I like the looks of this tool box on my '96 Z71 (the carpet is only there so it doesn't scratch the bed, but will be removed if the box is installed). It covers up my ck5 sticker, which really sucks. This truck is my only 4x4 I currently have, and is my main trailer-puller, so it would be cool to have a tool box for my chains, binders, tow straps, ratchet straps, receiver ball mount, receiver tow hook, jumper cables, and tools for road trips to pick up vehicles. It also has a heavy duty antenna mount for my 102" stainless whip.

Before and after:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]\

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

is it magnetic? does it dent or scratch easily? what did you pay for it? have you micced the material yet? we need more info before we can give an educated opinion! :D

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yes, it's a special magnetic aluminum.

No, only kryptonite can harm it.

I would rather not say.

Yes, .1240726142"

:haha:

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

That's shibby, you should get the 0.2 like mine.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It obscures the CK5 sticker , its gotta go . Sell it and get a used in the bed below the bedrail toolbox . So ya can pimp the CK5 sticker :D:D

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i wouldnt care about looks too much myself, but is it a theft target? Does it make the truck more of a target? oh, btw, mine is better than yours!!

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Or move sticker

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Nah, theft isn't a huge concern around here. I left a brand new set of Swampers sit out in my yard for a couple weeks before moving them inside, and never had any problems.

I think I like Pauly's idea of getting a box that sits down in the bed.

:D

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

honestly, i dont think it looks that bad. and other than hiding the CK5 sticker, which should be displayed proudly, i like it.

just one question though... why a diamond plate toolbox on a truck you've debadged? kind of defeats the purpose of debadging it doesnt it? :confused:

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Well i dont know about you guys but im standing heres nekkid eating cheetos and polishing my tool box (thats 100 time better than yours) with fresh beaver oil i just acquired:D:p: Beat that.

Oh btw... who need magnet when you got tape!

11. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

All I know is that after I added one of those to my truck I don't know how I ever got along without it. I thought I would miss the bed space but havn't yet. Since it dosn't go to the bottom of the bed I can still slide stuff under it like boards or pipe. Considering the advantages I couldn't care how it looked anyway, but my personal opinion is that it looks just fine on your truck.

12. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Hey if it's too much Bling for ya, paint it to match the body. :D

13. BillyTungsten

BillyTungsten Registered Member

Two is better than one!

boxes-in-small.jpg

14. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

If it is only to hold stuff for trailer binding why not mount it on the trailer :confused:

No more looks issue, no sticker issue and no hefting binders and chains up to shoulder height. You think that diamond plate will chip the paint wait till you hit it with a binder or chain trying to load/unload that box :doah:

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The main reason for the debadging was because I hate the way the trim would hold mud, and it always dripped out after washing it. And so it would match my other plain red truck. I kind of like the solid-color-no-trim look. Oh, and I ordered 3 ck5 stickers, so I still have another one I can put on the window, just up a little higher. ;)

Trailer mounting a box would work, but I have 3 trailers I pull and sometimes I pull my friends trailer too.

DAMN! You Win!!

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

16. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, my PU's a sixpack, so you'd think I'd have lots of room for crap ... but 'cuz it's so old ('74), the rear seat doesn't flip down, so there's squat for room to store stuff.

Now I have all the binders, straps, jack, jumper cables, tarps, tow ball, hitch pins, etc etc ... all neatly stored. Theft magnet? Maybe. No worse than having them all under the seats where they roll out when I drive.

The bedrail types are nice 'cuz you can still fit an 8x4 sheet of plywood or sheetrock underneath... or, as I discovered, four 16x6 dually rims fit underneath perfectly, leaving enough room for a 14BFF, two more rims, and two 7.5x16 tires. All without blocking vision. Speaking of vision, this one does come up a little into the rear-view, so I have a slight blind spot in the back right for very small Japanese cars, but in this truck 'cuz it's so long, I just figger they'll get out of my way :haha:

Anyway, I say it's an invaluable addition to a pickemup. Of course, you can paint-to-match ... I had to paint mine to match the truck, since my truck is chrome-free... :D

-- A

toolbox.jpg

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

put it on your trailer. i personaly can not stand over the rail boxes. they are not easy to pack due to the odd shape, they take away visibility and i think they are ugly....

i have an in the bed box. its for a trailer or flat bed, but it works GREAT.
    Grant

18. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

keep it, relocate ck5 sticker

19. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , how about still wearing last nights beaver oil , doing my FIRST EVER welding project with my very own welder , while my ol lady is actually COOKING inside . While beer is 6 feet away from me , and its 73 degrees out , and not giving a crap about a toolbox anyway :D

20. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

if you want a bed box, but don't want to cover the sticker I think I may have a good alternative.

http://www.mygreenlee.com/products/det.cfm?id=3523&upc=31510

we deal these at my work, they are a little pricey because you are paying for the name. but that will bolt to bed very easily, and you can even get these custom made to your exact sepcifications. it will double the amount of storage space compared to a regular bed box, and it cover up the killer sticker.