Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POLL QUESTION inside

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Mar 13, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, I got a 10bolt 5.13 front axle with a mini-spool... Contemplating the breaking of many parts, now for the pole

2. jjlaughner

DAMN!
    the "YES I'M STILL NAKED and thinking about your axle...." option was suppost to be spelled -> AX-Hole

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I voted for the limited slip diff just because I don't know what size tires you'll have or what kind of wheeling you'll do.

On a side note I was inspecing that quad headlight radiator support and it's crunched in the corners from an encounter with a very large pine tree in the woods. Sorry for getting your hopes up but I thought it was good /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. jjlaughner

Cool man thanks for the heads up on the core support

As far as the tires and wheeling, it going to be an all around vehicle, mainly trials, very little rocks, probley mud and sand, definatly snow /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tires will likely be a 37" Goodyear MT or MTR, maybe some 36" RT's if I win a set of beadlocks that have them on there already (ebay/gov auctions).

5. TruckNutzDude

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good core support for you. Did you want the horizontal or vertical style beams? so I know what to look for...
    [_][_]========[_][_] or
    [___]======== [___]

[_]============[_]
    [_]============[_]

6. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

[_]============[_]
    [_]============[_]

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

7. TruckNutzDude

It's for the rusty bucket isn't it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I have 2 "rusty buckets" of my own and one is going to the junk yard very soon to make room for a '79 K5.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think the biggest problem is the 10bolt axle. If you have 5.13's, then I'm guessing you have some farely large tires. I'm no expert by any means, but from what I've read over the last few years, 10 bolts and large tires don't mix well. Yes, you can sink alot of money in one building it up, but for that same money you can have a Dana 60 that is stronger then any 10 bolt could ever be.

9. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the biggest problem is the 10bolt axle. If you have 5.13's, then I'm guessing you have some farely large tires. I'm no expert by any means, but from what I've read over the last few years, 10 bolts and large tires don't mix well. Yes, you can sink alot of money in one building it up, but for that same money you can have a Dana 60 that is stronger then any 10 bolt could ever be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know 60's are better for the larger tires, I'm not rock crawling or jumping, I might have a little problem with the throttle foot...

The way I look at it I got $250 in the 10bolt with 5.13's and mini spool ready to bolt in... maybe another $100 in the 8lug conversion then it will be fresh and ready to roll... I haven't heard to many people (esp unempolyeed individuals) bolting in a $350 D60 lately /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

The 60 is a big investment, but well worth it depending upon the size tires you run and the type of wheeling you do. My suggestion, based upon what you have invested vs the cost of a 60 install would be to run what you have till you break it. When you break it, then make the decision to up grade to a 60, just don't invest more money in an axle that will break.

11. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    It's for the rusty bucket isn't it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I have 2 "rusty buckets" of my own and one is going to the junk yard very soon to make room for a '79 K5.

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

is that better /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif