Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poll Rear Leaf Spring

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Executioner, Mar 7, 2000.

1. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Which aftermarket rear leaf spring do you run ?
    I will be removing the 4" block, and going to all spring hopefully !
    Thanks alot

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

i run tuff country 6" springs in back of mine, they ride well for a highly arched spring, they have sagged a little since new, 3.5 years, but my truck's not exactly lite, and best of all they don't cost an arm and a leg.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

3. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

I've been pondering this and my setup will soon be stock 3/4 ton springs and a rear shackle flip. The front I think I will extend the shackle and shim the front mount. Not sure if anyone has done this in the front, I will make it beefy.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

How much lift can you get out of 3/4 ton springs?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Why don't you try a shackle flip instead. It'll keep the same ride as stock springs but will give you 4". You can do it homemade style (Corey Perez did it as well as quite a few others) OR you could get new shackle hangers from Offroad Design. http://www.offroaddesign.com.

If you were set on new springs, I would suggest the Tuff Country. They seem to be the best from all I've heard. There is a spring rate table under the technical section off the main page. It will give you some info on the softest or strongest.

Kyle
    89K5

6. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

No lift with the springs, they are stock. The shackle flip can be made any length you want it. There is a good link..let me find it....http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/catalog.html

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

7. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Stupid question then but what's the diff between the factory springs and 3/4 ton springs? I'd have assumed some slight height gain due to the increase in load? Otherwise wouldn't you get more articulation with the softer stock springs?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

8. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Its one more leaf for the 3/4 ton, yes they will be stiffer(higher load cap.). I always carry about a million lbs. of crap and people/dogs in my truck so my rear sags alot, they are $10 more than 1/2 ton so I will try them instead of helpers. Then I will make the front to level properly. Try asking Depdog about this, hes done just about everything to his truck.

DangerBrett[​IMG]

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am running SuperLift 51/2" Softride spring packs.
    Keep in mind most spring packs are made to Pick-Up specs and the rear of a pick up is much lighter than a K5.
    I have 4" in front and my rig sits level!
    I lovem and even could aregue that they ride better than the stock springs!!
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If you guys want really good springs, contact National Spring in El Cajon, California. Or Deaver Springs, also in CA. I'll have to track down the contact info. They will make springs to your specs and style of driving that are many times better than stock!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Where did you locate the 3/4 ton springs? I want to do the shackle flip, and my 79 springs are, well, 20 years old. Any recommendations on rebuilding them or upgrading, as you did?

Thanks.........

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

12. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

What ever brand you go with make damn sure you buy 5.5" or 6 inch rear springs!!! Found out the hard way..replaced my rear 4" blocks with 4" Superlifts...you have to run 5.5's or 6's to get her to dit level...i currently have some 1" blocks in the mix as i had them laying around but will be ordering 2" blocks here real soon to get her to sit level. The extra weight of a Blazer Half-Top, fuel tank(31x8=248 pnds of fuel)..plus the tailgate make 4" inch springs sag down to the same height of 4" blocks!!! Just ask Steve over at ORD...he will second the motion!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

13. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

I have not done my springs yet$$$$$ JCWhithney has all four 3/4 ton springs for $200 and poly spring bushings for $65. My big worry is NO MOTOR RIGHT NOW.

DangerBrett[​IMG]