Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POLL - Rear lift options - what are you running?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbinOR, Dec 16, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Am totally /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif about what I want to use in the rear of the Burb for lift...........rides excellent now on stock 3/4 ton springs, don't want to lose that. Flex is not an issue, ride quality is the priority with enough lift to fit 33's or 35's. Won't go shackle flip because of the potential towing issue.

So please vote on what you have now -

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1040089003BlazzinOR">

What you're running in the rear?
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Lift Springs
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Blocks with stock springs
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />Shackle Flip
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I have the ord shackle flip on my /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif and im really happy with it. And ORD is commited to service too.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you're concerned with towing, how about getting some 6" springs and removing a leaf or two to bring it down to 4" of lift? Leave the overload for towing, should ride nice and soft but still work well for towing. Or put some air shocks in it and just pump em up when you're towing. </font color>

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i'm running the 6" Springer Suspension w/o a track bar. No way in hell i'd tow with it. I am not very expereinced in towing to begin with, but its really flexy so i don't have the stomach for it.

I have heard that Marv tows a bit with his, and Dr. Watson came onto the PBB and said that the ORD flip could be towed with, might want to talk to him about that.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Use blocks, but buy some traction bars if you really need them.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I've got some blocks, I'll trade ya for summthin'.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

shackle flip and 4" blocks with stock leaf springs, it equates to a very soft flexy ride.

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

www.springersuspensions.com
    or2play has it on his burban. i rode in it a few times. with no shocks it rides nice. im sure once he puts shocks on it it will ride LOTS better.
    be the second burban to run it man... i got it on my blazer, but have yet to try it out.
    Grant

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Frank, I'm in the same boat as you are, deciding which springs to go with for my '89 Sub.

I'm also planning around either 33's or 35's with the 35's on the higher priority list.

Rear springs I'm thinking of 4" with zero-rates and also 4" on the front. Wanna have that rear up slightly higher in case of saggy butt.
    But if towing will sag it even more, I would go with 6" rear springs instead and still leave the 4" front springs there.

I got this Sub mainly for towing. I still want to use it for a daily driver and for grocery-getting, too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rear blocks are out of the question. Too much axle wrap even when towing. I'm not planning to spend gobs of dough on this truck either, so traction bars are out, too.
    I can't use the stock springs on the truck now since one side is sagging about an inch or so lower than the other side. So either 4" or 6" springs are replacing them.

11. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

my vote for you is lift springs as well. my buddy had 4" lift springs in rear of his 87 blazer and it rode great. won't have axle wrap issues of blocks or shackle flips. do the springs /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

stock springs, 1" ORD zero rates, 4" shack flip, revolvers, rockjunkies slightly taller than normal spring perches. When I put all that poop on, I took thesprings apart, degreased, put in new bushings, painted em all purdy, and slapped some UHMW-PE between each leaf to keep em from binding.

j

13. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I dontthink you can get axle wrap with a shackle flip, but I could be wrong... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Go with the shackle flip. The shackle flip is only one (small) part in the problem with towing with a lift. If you keep the stock springs and don't flip the overload I don't think you will even notice the difference in ride. Suposidally the shackle flip imparts some digressive quality to the rate of the springs...but the overload adds in a huge progressive rate to the spring! Your 3/4 ton springs are stiff to begin with and it won't make that much of a difference if it does at all.

The warning about towing that Stephan made was a bit more to cover his but. The problem that Grim had (that started the hole dabate) was a combination of meny different things (too soft of shocks, flipped overload, too much tung weight IIRC). IMO if you did the shackle flip and used some rs9000 shocks set to stiff when you tow you could not get a much better all around (including towing) setup.

BTW: If you wanted to you could mount the flip bracket so that it would still be progressive. It all has to do with shackle angle....I'd have to look up which way you would want to angle it if you are intrested.

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am running 5 1/2" SuperLift springpacks. Very smooth packs, i think I counted 8 leafs being used with teflon inserts. The Freeway ride is very nice and around town and even twisty roads my rig handels great. Oh and LifeTime warrenty too. I am very satisfied with them.
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Well its safe to say I will not be towing with my suburban. Mabey with shocks and the track bar I'll change my mind. I know Marv said he has towed a few times with his blazer, but with as soft as the springer setup is (plus the extra weight of the suburban) I'm not planing on towing a thing.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have ORD 4" Shackle flip, and Tuff Country 3" springs, Total of 7" of lift for the rear, and 6.5" of lift up front. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Shackle flip.

Other than the problems associated with a higher CG I feel that my shackle flip is awesome. And towing the motorcycles really has not presented any problems.

What are you planning on towing?

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Home brew flip.
    86 springs.
    2 extra leafs from original 75 pack
    1 inch Zero rate.
    6 inches of lift as measured against wifes stock 79 from top of axle to bottom of frame.

20. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You can probably figure out my vote. Same thing again, if the truck is set up for towing, the flip isn't going to matter. If it's set up for trail use only, it's probably going to tow like crap. If you're towing really serious trailers, you should probably look at not lifting the truck at all, and/or load leveling hitches, adjustable shocks, and a whole bunch of other stuff.