Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poll: Return of the K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

When famalies finally start buying wagons/minivans to haul there groceries instead of SUV's what will be of the industry? Say GM decided to make a serious model again, the K5, what whould you think?
    <FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.pl"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="978482169Blazer_Boy">
    Return of the K5
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="1"> Defintely! I'd love to have it back
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="2"> Yes
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="3"> Yeah, it won't be the same but I'd like to have it back
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="4"> Doesn't bother me any
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="5"> No, let it be
    <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT NAME="PollSubmit" VALUE="$lang{'SUB_VOTE'}" CLASS="buttons"></FORM>

"An old Blazer never dies, they just... rust away."

2. Blazer_Boy

Feel free to put down any posts about bringing back the K5. Maybe we could get enough people interested to send GM a petition. I'm quite aware that it would have little effect on there design practices though. It would be nice to know that we could tell GM what we think, we don't wanna haul the groceries and the kids home from soccer practice, we wanna go truckin!! GM can design one heck of a truck, they did it from 1969-91 and there doing it again with there new heavy duty pick-ups. However though, they are comming out with yet another family oriented vehicle, the Trailblazer. They have an S-10 Blazer, Trail Blazer, and yet no K5 Blazer.

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Not to ruin your fun, but do you think anyone at a k5 site is going to vote them down?

Brian
    84k5

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Actually 84k5, I would vote it down, but only because I have a strong feeling it wouldn't be quite the same k5. You know what I mean ? They would make it into some other type of vehicle all together, then try and spit it out as a Blazer. If everything was to remain the same, except for upgrades like a better steering box set up, better gauge system, etc. You know, improvements on all of the problem areas we all know about, then I'd be all for it. But let's face it, todays market is so weird that it would probably be made as just another useless SUV like all those others that are flooding the roads as of late. Either do it the way it was meant to be or keep it the hell away ! Just my 2 cents.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

5. Blazer_Boy

[​IMG], I know. I put the other options in there so I couldnt be accussed of not giving the otherside a chance to voice an opnion, even though i know they wont be on this sight [​IMG]. The people on here with the bucks though would be the type who'd buy it.

6. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I don't usually weigh in on these type things (Grim could vouch maybe) but here's my $.02:

1. No offense Blazer_Boy but I don't like even seeing "rust away" and Blazer in the same sentence. Our passion here is to protect the heritage of what was once done right by a big corporate giant-THE K5. No pneumatic/hydraulic push button wussy 4X in IFS-real gears for real men & women (wannabees).

2. It won't be the same but if they did it with solid axle front and all mechanical transfer case/gearing, I'd buy it. It'd slow down my Blazer restoration by 10 years or so but I'd still completely restore it eventually.

3. Only the rich folk are buying those sissy a@# SUV's. Those who work for a living can't afford those sissy a@# pieces of s@#$% and even if we could, we know better than to buy one. And again, no offense but people HAVE & STILL ARE buying minivans & new fangled wagons to haul groceries and kids to soccer games. Just ask [Damler] Chrysler (Caravan) & Ford (Winstar) about their boom in sales for those little vans.

Sorry gang, but this made me think and touched off a chord. Having another vehicle hit my K5 from behind and the possibility of the other guy's ins. co. maybe totalling my rig [possibly branding the title forever as "salvage"--see rust above] got me a bit fired up. The experience also brought me back here more frequently looking for help. K5'rs from all over the world (read: Austria + the Great State of Texas) are helping me find old fender flares to replace my broken ones from the collision. That kind of sentiment/trust reminded me of when I first logged on here over 2 years ago. I won't be so long between posts again.

Thing is Blazer_Boy is right here. We're the market & GM needs to know about it. How else would they know-yah think some Madison Ave., NY, NY guy is gonna tell Detroit about the huge market of the K5? Doubtful!!!!

Don't Crush 'em, Restore 'em[​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's the real question: How many people would be willing to plunk down 40+ thousand dollars to have a brand new K5? That's the question that the GM marketing folks have to answer. It costs BILLIONS of dollars for them to design and build a new vehicle. They will always build the one that they think they can sell the most of. That's just a fact of business. The prime directive for ANY corporation in the US is to generate profit for the company and shareholders. All other decisions are made after that one is (hopefully) fulfilled. [​IMG]

Many of us on this site own K5's that are quite old, rather than the last model year or two that they were built. Since we don't buy new, we aren't GM's target market. I'd love to have a 3/4-ton, solid axled, 383 TPI powered K5 with a completely removeable hardtop. GM didn't build one, so I did! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I like the idea...but I can see some crappy half a$$ed SUV wannabe that GM tries to put on as a K5....look at what they DID do to it. The Tahoe.......they are nice and plush...I don't want plush....if I want plush I will put some mud in my seat or maybe get that Heap owner to stop trying to kiss my a$$ about how great my rig is!! No wimpy push button 4x4....get your butt out and LOCK THEM HUBS PANSY!!! I would support it if it was a REAL K5.....See if they can get nice seats AND A REAL SOLID AXLE WITH LOCKERS on the front....

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

9. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Thats really weird, my friends and I were just talking about that today. I think it would be pretty cool.

Dawson
    88 K5

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Blazer Boy,

Don't feel lke evrybody is coming down on you even though it sounds like it. It's just that we all don't like the idea of the new SUV market. We all want the classic k5 and nothing with leather interior, chrome this and that, cappucino holders, etc........ that's why I said the only way I'd be the least bit interested is if it was the SAME k5 but with the problematic areas fixed such as the steering box, auto hubs, etc. then I'd still think if I'd want to do it myself instead of paying up the ying yang for them to do it. I just thought you were getting a little beat up over your post and wanted to make you feel at ease. Everybody loves their k5's and wouldn't want to see what type of monster they would put out now.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

11. Blazer_Boy

Thanks man[​IMG], sometimes it seems everyone wants to rip me apart [​IMG]. Thats what I'm afraid of too though, luxury over functionality. I know GM won't care because they can't clean up on it. I wouldn't mind a differnt body, the 92s were kinda cool but I'd stick with my '82. They'd never ever in a million years come out with the same body. They had a newer body Blazer after '91 but it didnt sell to there expectations and I doubt they would want to loose money on something they can't sell again. The new ones wouldnt be as fun either, way too complex. I love ours because the average person with some knowledge can do some great things. As long as people like us are around, the real K5 will never die.

K5:Big, slow, and flys through the snow. [​IMG]

12. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

my $0.02:
    maybe they would consider the idea of a similar philosophy, i mean a relatively cheap, reliable, easy to fix, truck that can carry at least 5 people semi-comfortably and haul alot of stuff and tow a boat or motorhome. BUT having them reinstate the k5 will never....ever happen.
    of course it will end up being more areodynamic, but so what?! as long as it has a solid axles up front, a manually shifted TC. remember our k5s did not come heavy duty out of the factory (axles, tires, wheels...etc). we have had to improve it. but that is also ok. we will just borrow from the 2500 & 3500 trucks as we do now.
    they designed our trucks with the idea that it would be just a workhorse and that the owner would probebly have another vehicle for regular trips. today its kind of a all in one package, a compromise of duty and lesiure has been made.
    as a matter of fact i like the look of the new yukon/tahoe (considering buying one, but its alot of money).
    but if they offered it in the form of a 2 door, solid 10 bolt front w/manual hubs, even a 10 bolt rear, a manual TC, vinyl or colth seats, no pw/pl, mechanical gauges, a removable half cab, dont even need a tape player just FM/AM, a carb or a simple FI, and limit the computer controls to the engine only....then i would buy one for about $25k, because i know it will last me 15-20 years of good service.
    but sadly, as harry said, its all about the money.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

13. Channing74

Channing74 Registered Member

Im afraid that once people would get to know them again everybody would want one then we would be just another face in the crowd. I kinda like my individuality. Im not the only K5 in the area but there is only a few that are serious about fixing them up.

Bigger is Better [​IMG]
    Channing74

14. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

My 2 cents.
    Let the REAL Blazer/Jimmy/K5 rest in peace. As much as I love GM, I hate it when they exploit the heritage of a decent vehicle just to sell some more cars. With the auto manufacturers of today, we'd never see anything close to the trucks we love. I know new trucks do have their virtues, I don't deny that, and if someone offered me a free HD, I wouldn't pass on it. It's just sacraligious to call a S-10 SUV a Blazer or Jimmy. Just like the current Impala and Monte Carlo, before these were rear wheel drive, V8 cars, now they're V6, front wheel drive, just not the same car. I came across some insider information that the 2002 Camaro/Firebird will be the last year of their existence (don't know if it's still true). Just so you know I am a DIE-HARD Camaro guy, but I'd rather see them cease production than convert it to a V6 front wheel drive POS. GM should stop using the Blazer name unless they put it on something worthy of wearing it.[​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Why is the k5 and for that matter the Bronco gone? Economics. The K5 was and always will be a nitch (sp) vehicle. What made it possible for GM to make it in the past was it mechanicly shared al the parts of the truck and the Sub. It was also GM's answer to the Jeep and bronco.
    In the 80's with the baby boomers family got sick of jamming themselves in a midsize car. A station wagon is still a midsize car. That's what caused the the SUV and Mini van to take off. It had room and the price was reasonable. In 1988 a fairly well loaded Sub could be had for around $20K. It was still by all definitions of the word a "truck". The original tooling dated back to 73. Well the one complaint from all the baby boomers was the harsh ride. Here is GM with people buying as many as they can make but that common ride complaint so they make it ride like a car by re engineering the front suspension to that of a car on both the 4x4 and the 2x4. Problem was tooling costs had gone way up and it and the NADERITES wanting air bags drove the price of the vehicle up to the present day $40k but Sales still boomed on the SUV. Problem was those who were buying the K5 lost one of the very reasons they bought it. It's off road capability.
    We were the minority. Economicly GM had to share the mechanics to keep the cost down. the K5 sales fell because people like us quit buying them because of price and lost offroad capability and people who would buy them complained of the lack of back doors and the Tahoe was born for those that really didn't need the SUB because of overall size but still wanted some passenger room and also wanted 4 doors.
    I want 4 doors myself. I got kid #2 due any day Kid # 1 is self loading but Kid 2 will need to be strapped into a seat and that's a real hassle. My wife doesn't want to admit it yet but her 79 K5 is about to become a real pain in the butt for her and not serve us well as a family vehicle anymore. I'm figuring my wife will swallow her pride from the fight she gave me when I found a 70 sub I wanted to buy her and sometime this spring we will be replacing her 79 K5 (I'll be asking $4,200 it has 20k on a crate engine 3.73 gears loaded with working A/C extensive trail rash).
    Bottom line is I wouldn't hold your breath for the return of the K5. GM know they can't sell enough of them to justfy retooling a plant when they can sell twices as many Tahoe's and the people who can afford a Tahoe will not be doing the type of offroading people like us do. The gains that they get from the 4x4 is enough for them. Traction in poor weather conditions. The final blow is the Trucks becoming available with extended cab and extra doors. Still get the back seat when needed but hay it has a bed that can handle more cargo and quite frankly easier to load.
    Nope the K5 is gone and not enough people wanting that type of vehicle to bring it back.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Well said, Grim! [​IMG] I love my K5, but wouldn't want to have to haul the kids around in it. Getting into the back seat is a royal PITA. It rides like a garbage truck. [​IMG] I used K5's as daily drivers for many years, but 2 small kids make it rather impractical. Now I've got a 4-door S-10 Jimmy and a Suburban (complete with the leather seats and all the other cushy options). [​IMG] Both are WAY nicer to drive every day, in traffic. They're also much more family friendly.

The real killer on SUV pricing these days is the profit margin. I read in the WSJ that GM makes $10,000 profit on every Suburban and Tahoe they sell. There are people willing to pony up $35-45K for a new SUV, because it's "cool". Most of them don't even know how to use the 4WD. Meanwhile GM only makes about $1,000 on a new Malibu. Different market segments, different market requirements, different pricing pressures.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

17. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

Funny thing related to the not knowing how to use the 4wd. The other day it had snowed all day and had about an inch of snow on the ground. This is texas so thats alot of snow. Well night came it got colder and the road got icy. I had my K5 in 4HI and was putting along in traffic. Well there is this KIA on the side of the road. The guy had a flashlight out and was staring at the hub. He was trying to figure out how to put it in 4wd. It had auto hubs on it and he couldn't figure out how to put it in 4wd.

'86 Military Blazer <font color=green><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/m1009_86>http://www.geocities.com/m1009_86</A></font color=green>[​IMG]

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Now that is funny! hahaha. Heck my 90lb wife knows how to lock in her K5 with real hubs. She also knows enough to in this type of weather that she would rather be driving my 75 with full time with her tires on it. A/T's do better in light snow and ice then M/T's.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

19. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The only way you could get a solid front axle would be to make the new K-5 a 1-ton and then it would be a K30 or C/K 3500 Blazer. It would look exactly like the new sub, but shorter. More likely, it would be IFS. It would have the exact same drivetrain as the Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Yukon, except not as long. If you remember right, they made that vehicle (2-dr. Tahoe) up to a couple years ago. The problem is, not enough people were willing to pay for it.

Believe it or not, GM builds what they believe people to want. What most people want is a big luxury car status symbol (Tahoe, etc.). Since people are concerned with image and do not plan their vehicle purchases optimally financially (i.e., "If I can make the payment, why not?), the luxury trucks are what make the Big three all their money. The idea of a low cost full-size 4WD with few amenities and plenty of towing and off-road ability has been kicked around for a decade now. The problem is that what people except to pay for it and what a car maker can tool and build it for don't line up. The profit margins are much better on the luxo-utes. Plus, the low-cost, capable 4WD is still readily available in the US. Anybody can buy one today. It is known as the used truck. [​IMG]

The trend we see now will only continue. One of the next advances will be IRS - independant rear suspension. In fact, I think that it will begin next year on the Lincoln Blackwood/Navigator.

"Big? No, these tires might be big for your Jeep, but they're just temporary for my K-5" [​IMG]