Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poll: Selectable Lockers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BURBicon, Dec 27, 2004.

1. BURBicon

BURBicon Registered Member

Everyone I ask about selectable lockers says the same thing. "ARB" Have any of you had any experience with Ox, E-trac, E-locker or any of the other newer lockers. I'm Detroit auto in the rear, but stuffing one of those in my new D-60 front would really screw up my turning radius, so I'll drive it open till I figure out what to do. Your feedback is appreciated.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get a Detroit and get crossover steering. Then it is a nonissue.

Harley

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Within the last year I don't think I have wheeled with anybody that had a selectable locker. I know a lot of people that "will put one in soon" but of all of the actually locked up rigs I have wheeled with (myself included) they all have lock-rights or detroits. That says something right there. I have seen a few in action and the same comment comes to mind "are both tires spinning??" I have also overheard a few people on the trail say they wish they had a detroit instead of an ARB but haven't heard a detroit owner asking for an ARB.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Wel ike the OX over the ARB at work, just so simple, less parts to fail, less cost, easier to install.

5. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Think about what happens when there is no air to the ARB.:thinking:

6. BURBicon

ARB vs. everything else

Me, I kind of like using my on board air to air up tires and I think I like the idea of flippin a switch or pullin a lever to engage the front locker. I think a Detroit up front is going to shat up my turning radius. (won't be able to get thru the z-turn in L. Term. on TM) you may as well put a spool up front. An auto locker may wor for u Blazer guys:k5: , but I'm not 2 confidient it will work 4 me:burb: .

7. Hossbaby50

Is your plan to stay with the 208 case or are you going to go doubler? If you go doubler then don't waste the money on the selectable locker. Just pop it in 2lo or 2 double low (triple stick) and cruise around on the open sections of trail like that.

Honestly I don't think the turning radius with the ARB vs Auto is going to hurt you on obsticles, but more on the open trail driving between obsticles. I don't have much problem with it not turning that well with crossover, and if you had hydro assist it would be even less of a worry.

Harley

8. BURBicon

208's and stuff

I am planning on doing the 203/205 dblr in the future (along w/lots of other stuff), but the switch-backs @ Martinez Cyn. (and a whole bunch of other tight spots) kill me with the Detroit in the 14bff trying to push me in a straight line. I have a buddy with a locked (F&R) 4runner and he says he turns alot wider now. I don't wanna give up any more than I have to.

9. Hossbaby50

With the doubler on the trail you mostly run in 2wd so turning is not affected. You lock it in 4wheel when you need it.

Harley

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

IF I was to run a selectable locker, it would be an OX. That said, I'll stick with my Detroit. When I have the hubs locked, but the Tcase in 2wd, I can't tell the Detroit is there. And when I'm in 4wd...well, how many times have you ever pulled the lever back to 4wd and NOT wanted both front tires to pull?

11. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I put an E-Locker in because I drive on too much ice. I like to run in 4 wheel drive, but I don't want both front wheels spinning.:eek:

12. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Get c/o steering. My 60 came w/ a Pwr-Lok lim.slip. Steers great. Period.

I don't like the technicalities of an ARB. Lock-Rights are great drop in lockers, w/ the c/o it's tolerable to steer.

I'm sticking w/ what I have stuffed in the front. I give it gas & some brake boost, it locks up when I need it. And less breakage potential.

I've scored a 203, my 205 is a TH400 version. Doubler in the works. Consider it.

:D