Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POLL: Slip yoke vs Fixed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Jul 21, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Ok, here's the deal. I currently have Echobit rear flip w/57's and 4" TC's up front. T-Case is a slip yoke 205. I won a driveshaft over on PBB ($300 gift cert) and am trying to figure out what if I really need to upgrade to CV and fixed yoke.. so I'm looking for some opinions from those running 4-6" of lift.

So here goes:

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is no substitute for fixed yoke and you can't go wrong with a CV shaft. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Max out your rear travel on the driveshaft and see if it slips to far. If it doesn't then you don't need the fixed yoke. If it stuffs in to far under compression or pulls to far out under droop then get fixed yoke. It all depends on the amount of flex you have. 57's might be to much for a slipyoke.

With my 52" rear springs I have not maxed out the slipyoke that I am aware of yet. But I don't have a huge amount of flex. More then stock but not like 57's.

Harley

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

With a fixed yoke if you happen to break a U-joint you can just pull the shaft and drive home on the front. This can be done with a slip yoke also but not very easily and sure to make a mess even using the coke bottle trick.

5. Hossbaby50

If you are scared of getting a little hot ATF on you when you are out offroading then offroading might not be the best sport for you. (not aiming it personally at you, in general) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Harley

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are scared of getting a little hot ATF on you when you are out offroading then offroading might not be the best sport for you. (not aiming it personally at you, in general) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's the point. It's about how you wouldn't lose any ATF if/when you waste a driveshaft or a ujoint. Cleaning up spilled ATF on the trail is a huge pain in the ass!

7. Hossbaby50

I get your point.

I just like to be able to get spare driveshafts for $50 all day and not have to pay for an expensive CV shaft and then pay for another one for a spare. If i don't need the expensive shafts I am not going to pay for them. If i start to slip my yoke out to far then I will. But until then the slip yoke stays for me.

Harley

8. big pappa b

Dont't think I'll have to worry about replace one of these shafts..they are .250 wall

So I think I'm convinced. Not I just have to tell the wife I have to spend more money after I just told her I'm done making any big purchases /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So I think I'm convinced. Not I just have to tell the wife I have to spend more money after I just told her I'm done making any big purchases

[/ QUOTE ]

Choose your words wisely. It's not a purchase, it's an investment. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. big pappa b

Oh yeah /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Get and upgraded slip yoke shaft and throw the existing one in the back as a spare. If you waste a shaft or joint just slap the spare one in and keep trucking........