Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poll: What should i do about axles on my daily driver

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 01maroonz71, Apr 22, 2007.

?

what should i do with my daily driver???

1. spend life savings on D60 and never look back

26.3%
  2. go 3/4 ton, save alot of mulah, and replace 10bolt shafts as needed

47.4%
  3. remove all axles, run around nekkid and get er done!

26.3%
  1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

well, here's the deal, I, just like most of you are hopelessly addicted to something that is going to be the end of me. It is not an addiction to a narcotic, but a horrible horrible addiction to building, then breaking my daily driver. haha.

my truck right now has half ton running gear, with 3.73 gears and is on 38mud grapplers. i drive this every day, and wheel this truck about once a month, IF THAT!. now, should i just go 3/4ton with 4.88 gears, and jump to 41iroks and drive it like that, or should i just go for the D60 up front and spend about 1500-2000 more on the truck. down in FL all we have is mud, and i do ok with my 1/2 ton running gear now, it will just make me feel better with a 14FF out back. part of me wants to save the mulah and such for my project/woods/beater truck and go D60 on that(so i can beat it to hell and back)!!!!!!

let me know what ya'll think. thanks!
    ~dave

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I would go with an eight lug 44 in the front and a 14bff in the rear and save your money. I rarely see front axles broken in the mud and on light trails. Yes 41's are pushing it if you get into any rock action on hard take offs on solid ground but if you are smart about it I think you could go a long way with this combo and save allot of money at the same time. Worst case scenario, if you start breaking the 44 you sell it and get a 60 later.

3. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

yeah, that is what i figured. and im rarely offroad with this truck anyways. i already have the parts to go 8lug anyways, so the only costs for me are going to be my gears/ and new brake rotors for the 8lug. not too bad IMO.

4. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

X2

You are doing with your rig what I do with mine. Except I am going to be towing my wheeler so I am upgrading to the 14BFF. I was going to go D60 by I just don't think that I need it.

Let us know what you decide to do.

5. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i think 3/4 ton will be fine but i just get worried myself cause im running 38s and 3/4 about the outside wheel bering....depending on the wheel you are running that bering takes alot of abuse being driven everyday...i drive mine about once a week and wheel it moderatly...i would say 3/4 ton for a weekend warrior but for everyday and a whole lot less hedaches just go w/ 1 ton..remeber 1 ton never looses value either..you will always be able to make some money on it if you get a deal in the first place...

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

for a daily driver 3/4 ton axles are plenty. I would stay with the 38.5's though. run big tires on the wheeler. once you get the beater truck to the point where you can take it out and beat on it, not break anything and be ready to go next time, you will wheel the nice truck less.

I beat the hell out of my DD while I was building my 83. It has the dents to prove it. :doah: now that the 83 is done and I'm wheelin it I don't feel the urge to take the 2000.