Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POLL: What should I do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Sep 13, 2004.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok, I've just moved back to Texas, bought my dream house, and been working on fixing it up the way I want it. My Blazer got pretty smashed up on the last Badlands run in Indiana and I put it on the back burner for a while after my grandpa gave me his Olds for a DD. I put it back on the road to pick up some bushes from the local nursery and damn, I realized how much I missed it. So I pulled the top and doors off and have been driving it the last week despite having the elec fan burn out...it's fine if I keep forward progress with the 4 core radiator. So with new house payments, and a limited budget, what should I do?

Probs:

My front clip is toast
    My body is heavily dented with a ton of midwest rust
    I have no bumpers, sliders, cage.

Resources:
    I have access to a tubing bender.
    I have 120' of 1.75" tubing.
    I have a line on a new rust free/dent free front clip and body for $400
    I have a 1" body lift to replace the 3" I have now.

The goal:
    I want a daily driver, light trail truck (3's and under), work truck, commuter, fishing and hunting rig.

What should I do?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Where's the "bacon" option? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Ooppss. Wrong board! LOL

I chose #2.... Get the new body, put it on, worry about the rest over time! Whats Michelle think?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I picked number one. You already have the tube so when you do the body swap thing you can do a cage before any interior goes back in. You have a DD so you can also afford to take your time and do it right the first time IMO. It takes longer, but there is greater satisfaction in not half-assing something.

As for the Dan option...he made his bed let him lie in it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rene

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Michelle is glad that we still have a truck for hauling stuff. She likes trailriding too, but she's like me, she doesn't like the super hard obstacles that take all day to do one little section. I want my truck set up to cater to that type of trail riding, camping, hunting, ect.

Rene, I too hate half assed things. Btw, SAWEET cage!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Michelle is glad that we still have a truck for hauling stuff. She likes trailriding too, but she's like me, she doesn't like the super hard obstacles that take all day to do one little section. I want my truck set up to cater to that type of trail riding, camping, hunting, ect.

Rene, I too hate half assed things. Btw, SAWEET cage!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Bryan! I'm basically trying to set my truck up the same way, although I do enjoy some of the harder trails. I'm not into spending 10 hours to go 1/2 a mile either.

Rene

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get rid of the body all together and build a cage (Large one, big enough too protect the whole family) If I lived down south, that's what I'd look into doing.