Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

POLL: what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Dec 13, 2003.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

It's winter... Time to collect all my parts for spring! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I can't decide what to do and can't afford everything at once. Here's my choices.
    <FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1071346408TruckNutzDude">

Things I can do:
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />5.13 gears in D60/14bolt and detroit in rear
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />5.13's, detroit up front, welded rear
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />Keep 4.10 gears, run in 4-LO and buy 42" TSL's
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />12,000 lb. MM winch, el-cheapo winch bumper, 5.13 gears, welded rear
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

I have more ideas, but can't think of them at the moment. I'd really like new tires because the used 38.5x15 Ground Hawgs I bought suck! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I'm also doing the home-brew hydro assist steering so I didn't bother adding that to my list. I wheel in mud and on tight jeep trails, few rocks (if any) and have a tight budget. I'll be doing the gears myself to save the expenses. I'm trying to keep it under, or around $1,500... any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Try turning your Hawg's around. It works for some people.

3. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    Try turning your Hawg's around. It works for some people.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think I'd have better luck turning them inside-out since they're bald... except for the outer edges and sidewall of course. I have 2 with about 1/8" center tread and 2 that are worse than that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

OOOoooohhkay, well I guess it's new tire time then. I'm a big fan of the Ground Hawg's.

5. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Keep the 4:10s and get a dobbler.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OOOoooohhkay, well I guess it's new tire time then. I'm a big fan of the Ground Hawg's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, really????????????????????????

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I'd agree with Earl about the doubler but you have a 241. With the 700 and 38"s I'd go 5.13 and detroit in the back. They are pretty cheap, easy to do and I love mine. You might regret the wlded rear later, it seems others here are having problems lately.

8. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, really????????????????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave it to Bubba come back with the Z3PR reply /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

700 has a good 1st... and 241 has a good low... i think 5.13s would work good for ya and be cheaper/lighter than a doubler.

j

10. TruckNutzDude

Thanks for all your input guys, keep the ideas coming. Maybe you can come up with a combo that I hadn't though of yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Forgot to add this. I'm keeping my Tranny and t-case because they've both been rebuilt recently. I don't have a need for a doubler since that's too much gear reduction for mud and the tires would turn to slick's really fast. I have a pretty strict budget, but hopefully I can get everything in one shot. I'm looking to do the 5.13's a rear locker AND 42's but that might not happen.

On a side note, does anyone know how to do the home-brew hydro-assist steering? I need to know what parts to get and where to drill/tap my steering box. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Thanks!

11. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

i say go with a winch , no matter how big a tire or gears you run, it's all useless when your up to your headlights in mud because once your stuck your done and you will always need a way to free yourself.

12. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    i say go with a winch , no matter how big a tire or gears you run, it's all useless when your up to your headlights in mud because once your stuck your done and you will always need a way to free yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Bob... That's why I'm taking a poll, because I want to do everything at once and it's killing me /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I'm saving up for some 39.5" Boggers if they're still avalable /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, if not I'm going with the 42's or 44's next year

13. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

they are available, i can give you the tires whenever your ready, just give me a heads up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Trail or street truck? Trailer queen? What do you like to use the truck for? I guess I dont really know ya, so it'd be hard for me to participate in the poll. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    Trail or street truck? Trailer queen? What do you like to use the truck for? I guess I dont really know ya, so it'd be hard for me to participate in the poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a trailer queen. I will be driving the truck on weekends and to and from the trail. Mostly mudding, trails and very few rocks (I've been planting pebbles in my back yard hoping to start a rock garden /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif no luck yet) That help?

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

38.5x14.5 SX's and a used winch.

17. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    38.5x14.5 SX's and a used winch.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm not a big fan of the SX's, they're a little small for what I intend on doing. But since everyone says I need a winch... that is on the list. Why'd you suggest the SX's anyways? are they that much better? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I personally like them. They wear decent, have a Tuff sidewall, have sidewall tread, and I think the 38.5 size is pretty nice, and pretty comparable to what you have now. Not real sure what else you're running, but if your front 60 isn't crossover yet, I'd slap that one at the top of the list.

19. TruckNutzDude

Cross over is on the list also. I have a 3" block now and it's just not cutting it but I had to get the truck home somehow and the block did the trick (too bad it cost me $100 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)

20. TruckNutzDude

Judging by the poll results it looks like I'll be doing the 5.13's and the rear detroit. I'll also try and get a winch if possible and a very generous CK5 member let me know of a good deal on some Boggers... hopefully I'll be getting those within a month or two. Thanks to everyone who voted and thanks for the opinions also. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif you guys always come through /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif