Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poll - who has broken a stock GM, Dodge or Frod Dana 60 Knuckle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Post up if you have broken one? Watson, lets hear your horror stories...

Please list your info if you have broken one - List Tire Size, Steering Arm brand/type, Ram Assisted or not. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Just got my 60's installed, but I plan on trying to break them real soon.

3. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I have not yet broken one and I abuse the hell out of my rig in the rocks. I havent seen any of my friends brake one neither but I have heard it happens every thing breaks its just a matter of when and where

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have not yet broken one, but my buddy Mat (NoRulz - The orange Ford truggy thing) has broken (I think) 3 of the Ford knucks with no hydro assist, just stock Ford power steering. He is so bad on them that Daeden Baer asked him to run a set of theirs (free and doing a write-up/review) and try to break them, hasn't happened yet, but he is still trying after adding hydro assist!

[Edit] I didn't answer your pole because I do not run high steer, otherwise I would be in the last category.

5. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have not yet broken one, but my buddy Mat (NoRulz - The orange Ford truggy thing) has broken (I think) 3 of the Ford knucks with no hydro assist, just stock Ford power steering. He is so bad on them that Daeden Baer asked him to run a set of theirs (free and doing a write-up/review) and try to break them, hasn't happened yet, but he is still trying after adding hydro assist!

[Edit] I didn't answer your pole because I do not run high steer, otherwise I would be in the last category.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read your friends write up on the daeden baer knuckles and if and when my knuckles break I will upgrade to theirs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BadDog

Me too! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Neil-

I too thought through this once... my conclusion was to just run what I have, and replace it if needed. I look at it this way... I can get two stock knuckles for the price of one Deadenbear...

Also, only reports I've heard of broken knuckles have been result of hysteer abuse. Baddog - does your buddy run hysteer on his Ford knuckles???

-Dan

8. BadDog

Nope, not the ones he broke. It was just bone stock Ford steering with a locked HP D60 and 42s! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But I think he is now high steer with hydro assist on the D-Bs. Haven't been out with him in a while...

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Has anyone heard of a knuckle breaking from a high mounted tie rod alone or is it usually associated with cross over and hydro assist? I still run stock steering configuration but I'm interested in the high mounted tie rod set up to avoid potential damage. I just don't want to do this at the expense of knuckles.

10. BadDog

Most of the broken knucks are Fords with high steer, cross over, and hydro (full or assist). The Fords are visibly weaker in the area around the upper king pin and they can't take the stress. GMs also break under similar circumstances, but far less often. However, anytime you have a high tie rod you are loading the knuckles in a way they were not designed to support. Sliding into a rock, a roll with an impact, or even fighting the steering while bound with stock power steering can and has been known to break the knuckles. Other than Matt, who is in a class by himself, you rarely ever hear of any knuckle braking in stock config, even with hydro assist. That’s one of the reasons I run a low tie rod. Mine is 1.75 x 0.375 and I have literally rammed it into rocks at 10-15 mph, stopping me cold, and it was still straight as a pool que. Only recently have a managed to tweak it, and that was full on with the hydro assist screaming, the front weight fully supported ON the tie rod, AND the driver’s tire bound up in a crack! Note: due to steering geometry, driver’s tire bind is the hardest on tie rod and on knuckles. Even now you have to look down it (like checking a pool que) to see the slight bow. And I didn’t break a knuckle, though I surely would have (I’m 99% sure) with high steer. It’s also much, MUCH easier to do hydro assist with low steer. I just do not understand the fixation with high steer. There was a time when I thought I wanted high steer, but when it actually came down to doing it, and I spent time thinking about it and researching the implications, I realized that there was simply NO compelling reason to do it, and numerous reasons not to do it. JMO…

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I definitely see your point about unnecessarily adding stress to the wrong places. My only reason for thinking about it was getting the tie rod up and out of the way. I want to do a fat tie rod but I also have a rock ring so I'm not sure if it will all "fit together". I've never done it myself but I've seen other guys bend tie rods on stumps hidden under mud or water so I was thinking the high mount might benefit me.

As far as ease of mounting a ram, I doubt I'll convert to cross over or hydro, I run mud almost exclusively and really have no complaints about steering performance.

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd get the Dedenbears ( /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) as I read somewhere they are going for something around $250 apiece. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    write up on the daeden baer knuckles

[/ QUOTE ]
    Where is this write up?

14. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm currently running a GM w/ Cross over, w/ Hy Steer BEHIND the axle, w/ Hydro assist!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif No Problems. Love my set up. Later Ed. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif Also Locked.

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Where is this write up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is one on the POR site. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. Mudzer

My Reason for moving the tierod up is pretty valid...

[​IMG]

17. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree, I was putting off doing the hi-steer because of the "stress" factor, but the trails here are very unforgiving and after bending tierod after tierod and hitting the ram several times I gave up and did the hi-steer.
    I guess if I start breaking knuckles Ill go for the Crane's or the Bear's , but Ill cross that bridje when I get there.

18. Mudzer

Eeeeee-zackly! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

See, with this poll, nobody has stepped up to the plate to say whether they have broken a GM knuckle. I'll take that as good info because some of you guys here are as extreme as I ever get, so if it works for you - it works for me!

Thanks for the info guys! I've already ordered my ORD arms. Like I posted before - his are drilled for the Dedenbear 5 bolt knuckles which is very cool.

19. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I run a big ol Dana 30 up front, full hydro and 56" military tires with no problems.
    I would say the better knuckels are a replace when needed item, but you know what I run and I haven't broken the stock ones yet.

20. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Where is this write up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was on pirate.