Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Polution Pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88bblazen, Apr 22, 2004.

1. 88bblazen

88bblazen Registered Member

what does it do and do i need /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif <font color="blue"> </font> it

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Called an Air pump. It basically burns unburnt gasses.

It all depends on where you live and if this is a trail only vehicle if you need it or not. More than likely it's not hurting anything....

3. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

it's an air pump that runs off the accessory belt, and blows fresh air into the exhaust manifolds to dilute the exhaust. some counties/states require it to retain all factory emission equipment, but there are ways around it. i'm supposed to have it, but it passes the sniffer without it. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

if you remove it, it's a good place to put a york compressor for on-board air! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

K5Chris, do you have visual where you live? We do, but I don't think alot of the people that work at AirCare even know what they are looking for. They just measure your tires, open your hood and stare at your engine? Course I could be wrong, but it would be nice to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif that crap off.

5. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

oh yeah. i live in Harris county which houses Houston. they are like pollution nazis. although, we have no lift or tire laws (except headlight height) your vechicle is not supposed to have ANY emissions equipment removed. Midas woudln't even install 2 cats, they said i had to put the single factory cat back on. F that. when i bought my truck from out of the county, there was no air pump stuff left at all. and, it had headers with true duals, no cats, and dumps. i went ahead and put 2 magnaflow cats on cause there's no way around that. (i actaully kinda like the sound better with them on) then, took it to an auto shop to get inspected..... let's see..... no smog pump, no pre heater hose, no intake hose, not supposed to have dumps on an SUV, and no e-brake.
    there's no way i was gonna pay to put a smog pump on my truck. i took it to another guy who is foreign and doesn't know a whole lot about cars... his whole business is just inspections..... he said "i put it on machine, and it tells me if it pass or not" so..... it passed the sniffer, and he didnt know what to look for as far as emissions equipment. OH, AND ALSO! he saw it was 4 wheel drive, and he didn't feel like putting it on the dyno to run the sniffer under load, so, he said we'll asume it's full time all wheel drive! haha /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif