Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poly body bushings on my blazer.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevy111, Feb 21, 2007.

1. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

Anyone know how tight you get these. I began to install them and have run into this. The instructions say tighten them down to the original torque rating. Well the inner cylinder that goes into them is about 1/4 inch short. Do you tighten them down till the washer hits the cylinder? I would think it would crush the bottom bushing down pretty hard. Anyone do this on their blazer or truck?

2. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Their telling you to torque them to the specs of the original mounts.

BTW, your going to want to grease them with something or their going to squeak like crazy.

I lathered mine up with anti-seize compound, so far so good.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahhh good ole Poly.
    First do not squeese your mounts..get um tight but do not tighten them so much they buldge. If you squeese poly too much it will not flex and that is not a good thing.
    I used two nuts on my bolts, the second nut has nylon lock inserts to prevent them from vibrating loose.
    Good luck

4. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

I think Ill try the two bolts myself. How different is the ride quality? Is it stiffer then rubber?

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well my rubber was shot! only 5 out of the 12 mounts even had bolts holding the body to the frame :eek1: so the change for me was night and day. WAYYYY smoother after the poly went in :D

6. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

Yeah mine wasn't all that bad but the bolts were shot. Luckily I got the truck from an area with little rust. I only had rust issues in the kick panels.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya poly is the way to go..installum and forgetum :D last forever.
    Good luck
    Burt

8. EFI70Blazer

EFI70Blazer Registered Member

Has anyone replaced their bolts? I think i may want to replace my bolts when i do this. Just curious if anyone knows what lenth, size and how many of each i would need?

9. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

I just bought new ones. I got them from LMC truck. I bought all of them to do the job and it was about 10 bucks. Takes the guess work out and I had them in three days.

10. swyfor5

swyfor5 Registered Member

Icebone111, you said you got your bolts from lmc? And you went with poly mounts? Where did you get your poly mounts? I too bought poly mounts with no hardware. Got mine from Jim Carter. I am looking at lmc for bolts, washers, spacers. From my calculations I'll have $80-$90 in hardware, because I need to replace it all. Cost is no object here, I just want to do it right the first time! ANY NEW ADVICE GUY'S?