Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poly Body Mount Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by merc359, Nov 14, 2006.

1. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Hello,

I have a 1979 Chevy Shortbox 4x4 and I am replacing the body mounts on the entire truck. When I tore off the old tub, I tossed everything out with it as every washer, sleeve, and mount was destroyed and nasty.

Now I am starting at an LMC Truck catalog and they offer a complete mounting kit WITH HARDWARE. After pulling myself off the floor (I realized it has everything I need) I was hit with the reality that it is all rubber. Now, I know the rubber is going to last at least a few years. I am not really worried about that, but here is the question:

Is there a kit out there that is ALL poly? If I can do the entire thing with poly now, why not do it?

Otherwise, I am going to end up with poly cab mounts, and rubber everything else - is there any known issues with this?

Hope someone has some insight...

Rowan
    Merc359

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used ORD's poly mount kit.

3. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

I was just looking at their stuff, and it looks great except it doesn't include the hardware. I am beginning to suspect I might have to purchase a complete kit from LMC just to get the hardware, and then buy the poly kit so I have the poly.

Sounds goofy, but I cannot see another supplier. Good lord, if LMC had an "all poly" kit they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. I know 3 guys around here having the same issue as me.

Rowan
    Merc359

4. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

You know, I am staring at my truc now, and I think I see why no kit seems to quite work. I have a 2WD cab that I converted to a 4x4 cab. I see the listings and pictures of the mounts appears slightly different.

If anyone has a digital camera, and 2 minutes of their time, I would love to see someone take a photo of the rear cab mount from their 73-80 4x4 PICKUP so I can see if I am working with the right stuff.

Pretty please...

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Most shops don't carry it, but yes there is a poly kit that has everything but the bolts. Energy Suspension makes it. I am putting one of the kits my rig this week. PM me for a price if you are interested.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No pictures,but...

I have removed dozens of Chevy cabs--your right,the rear rubbers under the back of the cab on early 73 up trucks are much taller on a 4x4, than 2wd ones are..at least twice as thick,about 4" tall VS 2" or less for the 2wd versions..not sure,but I believe 4x4 and 2wd crossmembers the cab mounts sit on are different too..:crazy:

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I replaced all my body mounts with poly ones and it came with a couple extras, probably for this exact reason

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2006
  8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you need to go get junk yard mount stuff from 81-up. then get a suburban body mount kit. and hog out the frame holes to take the 81-up mounts. then in the burban kit there is a #4 or #5 position mount thats 1" thick and needs to grind off the metal indexing tab to make it fit. this will fit inbetween the rear cab mount and tha cab for a 81-up 2x4 cab on a 80-older frame. i can get pic if you need me to.

9. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all that input! That is great.

I have a complete mounting kit arriving shortly. And I am going to mock it all up to make sure it fits and then purchase the relevant / required poly components.

The 2x4 cab is going on a 4x4 frame. I know it's gonna be fun...

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i just did a 2x4 87 cab on a 79k30 with 4 speed tranny. did a 2" body lift and have 2" of the tranny tower in the cab. close to stock hight. boot will cover just fine.

11. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you use the correct tranny hump?