Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poly Body Mount questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Impex, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

will poly body mounts expand? what happend was i installed new set of b-mounts 2 years ago and torqued them down wrong did one side at a time vs. a star pattern so my passanger side is squashed down pretty good (over laps the bottom washer) and drivers side looks normal. so one day i removed the passanger side and took them out held in my hand didn't go back to shape, so i reinstalled. but will they go back to shape after like a couple of hours? The reason i ask is becasue after i had my steering brace welded on i get a popping noise under the passanger side floor. (near the body mount) and it pops loud enough that people turn around an look when in a parking lot parking. U-bolts could be loose also, causing the sound.

2. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I do know that you can over tighten poly mounts to the point were they nolonger alow movement. Don't really know if you overtighten them if the form they orginally were made in becomes destored they will stay that way?? I would guess time will tell?
    The poping noise may be the metal floor or flexing then setteling back to form?
    Sorry, no help right?
    I tried.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Bottom line is you CAN overtighten Poly mounts.

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Josh,
    Ployurethane should not deform, unless the lot that was mix-up was to soft, I would call whoever you got them from and see if they will replace them...lifetime warr. on most bushings. And no they do not have that kind of memory.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I under tightened mine on the front driver horn under the radiator and the round "doughnut" bushing shifted and over hung the large disc on the very bottom. I drove it like that for maybe 6 months then when I noticed it and tore it apart the bushing was mis-shaped. I put in back correctly and torqued it down and it is fine now. So from my experience it fixed its self eventually under the proper load.