Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poly body mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, May 16, 2004.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Any tips before I begain installing some new body mounts Monday?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

your in NC, so your rust should be too bad.

Get some really good wood wedges. use them inbetween your frame and rail when your replacing the pucks- just in case the jack or whatever your using to lift the body comes loose.

WD 40 doesnt really help too much, cause you cant reach most of the bolt threads. But you can use it where it can reach.

Use a proper fitting socket. (like from an impact set) that grips to the whole side. You might need all the grip you can get. Extensions are a big help. nothing like trying to reach 3 feet up to remove a bolt.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

and if you figure out a good way to remove the two in the back, you let me know!

3. dontoe

Thanks......Wedges are a great safety palan. Will use those. Do I need to drop the fuel tank like it looks like? I have an impact wrench that I wouldn't want to do without. I swapped the axles off a K-10 last month. In the yard .by meself. But me Blazer is a bit rusty. Next years plans, pro body repair.

4. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I highly reccommend the use of a 1/2 " impact. The captive nuts up inside like to come loose from the little strap if you torque on the with a ratchet or breaker bar. Kind of like pulling a band-aid off slowly, best to just hit it hard and fast. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dontoe

Well it went faily well..rear most two needed new bolts(rusted badly) but thats another day. Be sure to disconnect the shifter linkage. I bent mine and had to remove and straighten it back out. No Biggie though.