Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poly motor mounts... what about the tranny?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Mar 26, 2007.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm building a dual crossmember mount with spring bushings at the frame sides so I can mount the tranny up higher and flater. Do I need to also cushion the center of the mount or can I just hard mount the adapter to the crossmember and just allow all the energy to be obsorbed by the bushings out at the frame rails.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I like to put bushings in the middle too. Hard mounting a trans only leads to broken bellhousings or adapters. Granted you would have some give, but what about when you land on that crossmember? All that shock just went right through the trans. Personally I say bushing at the frame end and trans mount are a good idea.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would use a bushing under the adapter mount, but hard mount the crossmember to the frame. without the crossmember hard mounted you could increase your frame flex.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

sweet. i found some simple poly style washers. they are actually briggs and straton motor mounts about 2" round with a 3/8-1/2" center hole. 1/2" thick

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

very little frame flex as this is a fully boxed double c channel frame. also my sub floor is prbably be hard mounted which will tie the rails together even more.

I really need to get picks for you guys. this thing is turning out sweet