Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poly Mount Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Oct 29, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I am looking at getting new poly mounts from ER or another manufacter, but I have a question. If I go with poly tranny and motor mounts, then add body mounts won't the vibrations come right into my seat? Would just regular mounts be better in that sense? This rig will get alot of highway miles so I don't really want a bunch of vibrations. Should I just get poly for the motor tranny and suspension (springs and swaybar) or should I get body also? Are the other manufactures good or only the ER sets? Thanks for all your help once again.

SummitXMK

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have all poly mounts in my rig, from shock eye bushings, to spring bushings, to body mounts, to tranny/tcase mounts, to motor mounts and I don't feel "much" difference. I "feel" a little more than stock, but I am not driving a Cadillac either so I don't mind. If your drivetrain is well balanced you should feel it anyway. If you have a motor that stumbles alot (especially at idle), you will feel it. Again it's all relative.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I've used Energy Susp and Daystar. I can honestly say that Daystar seems like higher quality. I didn't like the ES too much.
    But anyhow, it doesn't dampen the ride as much as rubber does, but these things last forever!! Make sure you don't over torque it, b/c if you do, the poly can't flex and you'll really feel the vibes from the road. I like poly b/c it doesn't allow the body to sway around as much as rubber did. I have poly everywhere except for the tranny and motor mounts. Soon to be though! Oh, and make sure you grease em up nice before you put them under
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Energy suspention body mounts going on tomorrow. ill let you know how they are.

-matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350, 33's</font color=blue><font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Road</font color=red>
    www.chevyhedk5.tripod.com

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I don't mine mine but I also like to ride Harleys too.... Look into the price of replacement body bushings and you'll have a heart attack...

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

If you do the poly engine/tranny mounts (I don't like 'em). Make sure you get both, engine and trans. Don't just get the trans mount, If you use rubber engine mounts and a "solid" trans mount, that will cause a bind in the drive-train and something will give (cracked trans case)

Sometimes running a "solid" or poly mount on the drivers side might cure a engine torque/tweek problem. Drag racers commonly runn solid mounts on the drivers side because they will shread a rubber one. They also use chains or solid links, you get the idea.

I don't like poly mounts on anything that will or needs to flex. Body, engine, trans, even the springs. But on the sway bar, it is O.K., after all, the sway bar does it's job by resisting flex or twizting of the axle vs. the frame.

Just my opinion
    I don't like 'em, so I don't run 'em, that leaves a big door open for me to be wrong.
    <font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Twiztid on 10/29/01 09:06 PM.</FONT></P>

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Twiztid has a point (I should have stated it earlier [​IMG]). For stock engines and daily drivers, rubber mounts are fine (and probably the preferred choice), and if you decide to go with poly mounts under the tranny/t-case ALSO get the poly motor mounts (especially if running modified motors). I broke my $250+ 700r4 to NP205 adapter because I ran the poly t-case mounts and new rubber motor mounts. Needless to say, I had to buy a new t-case adapter ($$) and I put in the poly motor mounts too. I run poly drivetrain mounts ONLY because I truck pull (see link below) and the drivetrain twists considerably. I saw my shifter move quite a bit with rubber mounts and thought I would benefit with the poly t-case mount, but it cost me more in the end. The engine twisted in the rubber mounts, the poly mounts didn't want to give in to the same twisting as the rubber and the weakest link between the two broke (A.K.A. the tranny to t-case adapter, which meant I had to pull the drivshafts and t-case to replace). My suggestion is to get new rubber motor and t-case mounts and be done with it. Yes you may have to replace them in 10-15 years, but you don't have to worry about stressing the rest of the drivetrain (there is a reason the factory uses them). JMHO

I used poly because of what I use the rig for, but for a street rig I would suggest using rubber for motor and t-case. As far as spring bushings, body mounts, sway bar bushings, etc. I would suggest poly. It will last longer and won't be affected by weather, salt, solvents, etc. Just remember to coat them with a good coat of grease or they will squeak.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>

8. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Thanks alot guys that is just what I was looking for!! Now all I need is money! :) Oh and more time!

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles

9. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

like Twiztid said get motor and trany set at same time. I have an 83 and only replace the trany mount so far and I'm ordering from Summit this week some time 2 motor mounts. I have ES Body mounts, and I like them alot. Just a word of advice if you are going to do the body mounts [Disconnect everything.] I thought that I did and I forgot one of the most important parts. The Shift Linkage. Now that I didn't disconnect that I am unable to [censored] down to 1st. And after the install, I sarted it up and it was in "R" a little fine tuning and she was back in the correct gear.

Good luck and take your time on the body mounts. It is a very dangerious job but FUN. Be sure to have a bud or two with you.

Late KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!