Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poly mounts VS. Stock style replacements

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Jun 20, 2002.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm planning on mounting up my egine and tranny soo n and I am in great need of replacing my mounts. Do I really need to order up Poly mounts? or will stock replacements work. I can get them through work for the stock style for cheap and even cheaper with my discount. I can also order up Poly's through my work too.

/forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The poly mounts tend to transmit more vibration than the rubber mounts do. Other than that, they should last darn near forever. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Depends. Do you plan on keeping this vehicle? You ARE replacing the existing mounts I'm assuming, so that means they were worn out. As you now know the stock ones will deteriorate, so going with the poly you will not have that problem ever again. It will be a decision you will have to make as far as how long you want to keep the vehicle and how much extra it is worth it to you to go poly.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If this is going to be a daily driver and sound and vibrations are really heated then go with rubber. They provide a 100% better isolation from normal drivetrain noise and vibration. I jsut put Pollys on the 75 and I didn't get 2 houses down the road from mine and noticed a big increase in transmitted noise and vibration. When it comes time to redo the ones on the Lady's 79 that searves as our family vehicle it will get rubber for sure.
    For a trail truck....Go for it.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Grim, I think you would have noticed an increase with the rubber ones as well (probably not as much though). I originally did the 80 with stock rubber motor and t-case mounts as the originals were worn. There was a noticeable increase in "reverb" and vibration from the old rubber to the new. When I started pulling I put in poly mounts to stiffen up the drivetrain and noticed very little difference from the newer rubber to the brand-new poly. Also this was in a pickup, so the open space of a K5 (when enclosed) may applify this....don't know.

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

if you are going to be ruff on it get the ORD ones , i wasted all other previous mounts , bent all the lil bars to heck so it was riding on i dont know what and i didnt notice any more or less vibs .