Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Polymeric mastic and herculiner removal....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigJohnson, Nov 19, 2005.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I just got in 60lbs of polymeric mastic from McMaster-Carr :D I can't wait to get it installed. Just made a 4.5hr trip with no carpet, bare floors with herculiner. I measured the deicbels in the cab at 70mph and it averaged 95dB and peaked at 102dB! It's freakin loud in there.

So here is my delima, I know that proper adhesion of the deadener is crucial. I am afraid that my herculined floor is too rough for the adhesive to bond properly. So I am considering removing the herculiner.

Anybody ever removed a crap pile of herculiner? I am guessing it might not be a fun job. Any suggestions???

Is it possible the deadener will stick to my herculiner with no problems? I plan on heating and using a roller for max effectiveness. I would hate to waste all this deadener because of some crappy herculiner :doah:

2. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    that stuff is sticky as all get out. seems like it would adere fine with a little heat and rollin'

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Is there a way you can try a little bit in one spot and see what you think? Thats what I would do if thats possible.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

id calll the company dirctly. im know with some liners (like the duplicolor) everything will stick to it, but herculiner is softer and alot rougher so im n ot sure.

5. BigJohnson

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try some today and see how it does. It may work ok since this is in the floor only not on vertical panels. Good ole gravity will help hold it down :D

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Could you use a sander to take down the worst of the rough spots?

Rene

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My box of deadener arrived yesterday - have not pulled the carpet since I installed it about 6 years ago.... :eek1: I will probably celan the surface with simple green and rinse.

I would think that stuff will stick on herc just fine. And it will not be in tension situations except for the small side panel areas.

8. BigJohnson

Well I tired some polymeric mastic over the herculiner and it doesn't stick well enough. I pulled it up and could see the imprint of the rough surface and the low spots that didn't adhere. I am going to try and sand the herculiner down some to smooth it out.

I think I can make this work with no herc removal...hopefully :D

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Probably help if everything is warm also ;) Good luck, waiting for pics.

10. BigJohnson

Ok, well I quit being lazy, hard for me to do :laugh: , and went and got my heat gun and heated a test square of the mastic until is was nice and supple. Stuck that down on top of the herculiner and it stuck good. I think if I am patient in heating and rolling it down good it will stick just fine. This time when I peeled it up the adhesive was stuck to floor and tore off of the mastic. Probably as good as it gets.

Hope to get started with the install tomorrow. I will get some pics and let ya'll know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the suggestions :thumb:

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i cant find it on their website. what exactly is it?

12. BigJohnson

Well I can't get a link to work but it is part number 9709T19. It is under dampers. Gonna get started with my install here in a minute!

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

are you going to do something over it since its a sheet or leave it? how much did it bring the sound levels down. at the moment i just have herculiner and it is quite loud

14. BigJohnson

Man tell me about! I am sure that my K5 is loud enough inside to damage my hearing with prolonged exposure. Maybe I'm getting old and soft but 95db for highway cruising is miserable. I have to crank my crappy radio almost to max to hear it.

I got the interior stripped and the floors washed and ready to lay the deadener down in the morning. When I get everything down I will give it a test drive to see how much the sound comes down.

I am planning on putting my carpet back in over the deadener for now. It has some insulation attached to it to get some extra sound/heat insulation. I should have ordered some of the aluminized heat shield to go back in over the trans hump to reflect radiant heat but I didn't order it in time. Eventually I would like to get the complete rubber floor mat set from LMC truck.

I will measure the interior sound levels when I get finished tommorow and post the results. I hope its significantly lower :)

15. gauder

gauder Banned

Swing on down to Home Depot or Lowes and get some aluminized insulation there. Pretty reasonably priced too, just doesn't have the deadener on it.

16. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you didnt get it on your hootus did you? :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
    grant