Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Polymeric Mastic - Any Long Term Reports?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by HarryH3, May 27, 2004.

1. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I know that several of you have installed this stuff. I'm curious as to how well it's holding up. Has anyone done the insides of their doors? How about the vertical parts of the bed? If so, has the mastic stayed in place through seasonal temperature and humidity changes? I can't help but wonder if it stays in place on vertical surfaces when it's 140+ degrees inside the vehicle on a hot summer day. How about when it's 10 below zero? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My Peel & Seal is holding up just fine (asside for all the bubbles during install /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif). The interior temp gets up to about 120 often.

My PolyMeric Mastic is also doing quite well in the garage on top of a pile of other crap /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    My PolyMeric Mastic is also doing quite well in the garage on top of a pile of other crap

[/ QUOTE ]
    I feel your pain! I have piles like that for three vehicles... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Harry,

Most of the 10 sheets I bought are on floor surfaces in the Sub, but I did get a decent amount in the rear quarterpanel areas too.

The secret is surface prep (get all the grease and funk off the panel) and a heat gun and roller when applying it.

I used a heatgun to get the sections kind of gooey and flexible before I laid them up in place and then used the wood roller to smoosh them in place. I have to believe based on the amount of surface contact and the way that glue gets when warm (sticky as the guts of a junebug on my windshield /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) that they're not going anywhere other than where I put them in the first place.

Like most of you, I also have a number of "uninstalled" sheets still in the man space.... I think they're about to find a new home in my '64 C60...seeing as how it has NO carpet and just a plain steel floor. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. HarryH3

Good to hear! I'd hate to spend a ton-o-cash on the stuff, plus a weekend of ripping the truck apart to install it, only to find it heaped in the bottoms of the doors a year later. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Ugh! Bare steel floors? THAT must make for a noisy ride! Even tossing some old house carpet on the floor would help with the noise in that thing. One thing that can make a BIG difference in a pickup cab is to run carpet up the back wall, right to the bottom of the window. I did that to an F-150 many years ago and was totally amazed at how much it reduced road noise. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

the only problem is the tumor in my lungs from the fumes /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif.....kidding of course, but wouldn't the glue emit fumes when in a "soft" state?
    what about the brain cells?

7. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    the only problem is the tumor in my lungs from the fumes /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif.....kidding of course, but wouldn't the glue emit fumes when in a "soft" state?
    what about the brain cells?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like it's time to re-state the "Buffalo Theory" of brain cells for the newer members...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

It seems to be holding up fine in my truck,I just did the front floor. I might do the doors when I have the windows regulators out to fix em but i got my stereo tuned good so im not to worried about it. Im also gonna do the back when I put the new carpet in after I get a new DD.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Is this "polymeric mastic" the stuff you get thru McMaster-Carr, or am I thinking of something else?

10. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    Is this "polymeric mastic" the stuff you get thru McMaster-Carr, or am I thinking of something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

YEP!

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif