Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pontiac 350...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ncbloodhound, May 16, 2005.

1. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

Well, I just got a disassembled pontiac 350, 2 carbs, and a pontiac 400 tranny for $100 from a friend of mine.

Let me hear your thoughts on rebuilding this motor and dropping it in the K5...

I know a little about engines in general, but don't have any experience doing this kind of thing. I have the time to tinker, but not the $$ to go all out.

I am not in a rush to replace the engine in my K5. I am just looking at options.

Your thoughts?

2. stevewix

stevewix Registered Member

walking into this totally blind, it will cost way more to rebuild this and use the BOP tranny than it would to use the old tried and true chevy pieces.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

that and Pontiac 350s are nothing to rave about. They are more expensive to build than a Chevy motor, and the same CUI. In fact they weigh more for the extra trouble. Heads usually suck on them too.

4. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

The more I research the pontiac, the more I see that this may not be a good idea.

I also learned a little more about the engine. It is from a 69 pontiac and was rebuilt in '88. There have been zero miles since the rebuild because my friend moved and sold the car he was going to put it in. I do know that there were some issues with the valve springs, which is why it was dissasembled. It is also bored over .30.

Anyway, I might just turn around and sell it...

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Were it a 400 or bigger it would be a deal. Then the weight scales would tip in your favor.

FYI all Pontiac V8 heads have 100% machined combustion chambers. Which is part of the reason they aren't made any more. There are other cool features to those engines, but the timing cover arrangement isn't on of them.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you could stroke it for more cubes. every Pontiac i've ever driven seemed to have alot more torque than a SBC or BBC of equal displacement.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Pontiacs are torque motors definetally. You can't stroke a 350 though. Its the same stroke as the 400, just different bore. And a 455 crank won't fit due to the smaller bore. Pretty certain thats the case, I can't say for certain.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

AIR the 326 and the 350 are orphans. All the other engines have a taller deck height.

FWIW MISF & I went to Richard Petty's last West Coast race at Sears Point. Drove up from So CA in his '69 Gran Prix. Set what was then a record for my group of friends. 6 hrs flat from Ventura to our hotel in Vallejo. Would have been faster, but that time includes stopping every 45 mins to an hour for 15 gallons of fuel. :( That one tank going north from Kettleman at 3500 RPM with 2.79's and ~25" tall tires was sure a blast. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you can stuff a 3.75" stroke crank into a 350 Chevy, you can stroke a 350 Pontiac.

BTW, bore has nothing to do with fitting a 455 crank in it. :screwy: