Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pontiac 400 suggestions?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Blaze, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Hey fellas. I thought lowlevell and Steve Chin might like this post. I just recently acquired a non-running 400 Pontiac from another CK5er (thanks rich!) and am going to build it up for my 75 Firebird. The current 354 Pontiac is strong, but I want something a little bigger. As many of you know, there is no substitute for cubes! I want to build a good motor with a lot of power for cheap. I'm going to be hitting the swap meets to find the expensive parts, but I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible. I have a 4bbl intake that I'm going to use, at least until I can afford an aluminum one. I'm thinking of boring it 0.030 over, then drop a big cam in it, along with some heavy duty internals, and then a good carb if I can find one. A friend owes me a good 4bbl, so I can get one from him. This motor will most likely be mated to a Saginaw 4spd from a 74 Formula, but might end up mating to a TH350 if I wanna stay auto. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm picking up the motor on Monday or Tuesday, then it will be torn down and examined. Man, my parents are going to love that considering they are trying to sell their house. If anybody has any good parts that they can sell me for it, please let me know!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

One of my friends is currently building a Poncho 400 for his '79 TA. He was able to get some decent heads for it off of Ebay from a '68 GTO. Some that will be higher compression and flow better. He's also going with a Comp Cams Magnum 280 camshaft which should be pretty lopey and make some good power. Sounds like you have the right idea though about your build up. If its going to be a daily driver, just don't go too crazy with the motor. My friend has another daily driver so thats why he can go big with this motor. Running 91 octane with octane boost would cost a fortune on a driver.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Steve is the one that knows all the technical stuff:) That engine would be cool to have in your 75. Im going junkyarding again tomorrow for the heck of it. The boneyard down the street got a 79' in, and in 2 days it was completely stripped. I never even saw it. Anyway, im still keeping an eye out for your front pieces you need. Later....

One From None

4. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

Be carefull on the cam. These motors are not the same as Chevy. Find out from a local pontiac builder which one to get. I'll try to post some websites that will help. I was building one for my 56 GMC but got shafted by the machinist. Going BBC or 409 later on.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be careful with the cam. I've helped build Pontiac motors before, but this is my first one I've done by myself. I haven't ever built a Chevy motor before, so I won't really be able to confuse the two! Thanks for the warning, bud.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>

6. dean ward

dean ward Registered Member

get some casting 6x heads (6x is cast in the top of center exh. manifold) your car may already have them, a crane blueprint series RA IV cam, and weights, springs kit for the dist. adv. the dist as much as possible, and subscribe to High Perf. Pontiac mag. it worked for me.

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I don't think I'm going to build this motor anymore. The cylinder holes are very rough and pitted. It would need some serious machine work, which isn't a problem because I have a good friend that works at a machine shop, but I just don't have the time or money to be fooling with it. I might have another running 400 coming my way in the next few weeks. I am also going to try and sell the parts off of this 400 and buy a 455 Ram Air IV off a friend of mine. Let's hope that works!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</a>

8. Effyoo

Effyoo Registered Member

Uhhh....If he has a 455 RAIV, I'll buy it...It would be one of only one made.

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...Those who can count, and those who can't"

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I think it is a 455 with a RAIV cam in it. A factory 455 RAIV would have been sweet, though. Haha, should have clarified that.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</a>

10. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Don't know if you woudl be intrested or not, but my brother just finished putting together a hot '68 400. I would have to double check the specs but I'm pretty sure it has a steel crank, hi-po heads and a sweet Comp Cams cam/lifters/rockers. The guy who did the machine work and timed the cam estimates it should be cranking out waaaaay over 500hp with enough carb (totally stock it was rated at 375). Give me a yell if your intrestred.

Yer born at point "A" & yer gonna die at point "B". Kick maximun arse in between.

11. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

For some really good power go with a holley 750 double pumper with mech. secondaries. Intake go with a performer RPM intake. Heads go with a set of 2 or 4 barrel heads from a 68-70 Firebird, LeMans or GTO. I run 47 heads on my Firebird (350 2 barrel heads from a 69 Firebird) With these heads you can run TRW pistons and get around 9.5 to 1 compression. Go with a ram air III cam for a street car (will give you a rough idle) or for a street strip you can go to a ram air IV cam, but will be hard to get dialed in.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>