Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pontiac 455

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dysphemism, Feb 27, 2002.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Ive heard that a 455 is the same size dimentionally as a 350. Is this true? I know you can bolt one up to the mounts but are they really the same size?

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/runfordaborder>my baby</a>

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

350 what? It is exactly the same as a 350 Pontiac but your talking Chevy I guess? The Pontiac has a different bell housing (called BOP) and the mounts are totally different. It will not in any way "bolt into" you Chevy truck without some fab work for the mounts and a bell housing adapter or BOP trans swap.

As for size, the 455 Pontiac is bigger in every dimension, but not by too much. IIRC (been a long time since I saw the comparisons info) it is an inch or so longer, maybe 2" taller, and taller, and something like 1" wider. I know I'm off on those dimensions but I do remember distinctly thinking that it was amazingly close. It's definitely smaller and lighter than the 454 BBC so dimensionally it fits easily.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmmm, I got an email saying MJ replied, but it's not here. Must be another server f-up. Anyway, here it is.
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

the pontiac has a deck hieght an inch taller then a BBC
    never compared the 2 but
    it would seem that alone would make it wider

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

<hr></blockquote>
    My previous post was based on info I read a long time ago in a Hot Rod mag where they put down complete info on all the major engines. Dimensions, weight, etc. Everything a rodder might want to know to consider the practicality of a swap and whether it was even worth considering further. I would try to look it up, I've got the mags in a box around here somewhere, but, the main point as far as your concerned is, it will fit in a full size GM truck EASILY. Pretty much just need to deal with the bell pattern, mounts, wiring, and radiator hoses.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The Poncho engine is bigger, but not a whole lot. I do think it is a little smaller than a BBC though...

So you thinkin Poncho powered K5? I have thought of that many times since I have 2 400's in my hands!

Mike

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>EMMETT</a>
    says: "<font color=green>It ain't easy being Green!</font color=green>

5. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

i have already done this swap for my 84 k5. i fabbed up new motor mounts using pontiac mounts with rectangular tubing.i can answer any questions you have with doing the swap. it's not that tough.

6. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Ya my only problem is finding a core 455. They dont grow on trees. For christmas im crossing my fingers and asking for a crate 350 [​IMG] . That would be nice

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/runfordaborder>my baby</a>