Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pontiac Firebird Brake Problems...

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Big'nBadK5, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

I did a disc brake swap on my 69 firebird and i am having some trouble with it. The system is installed correctly, and is adjusted what i would say is pretty well. But my problem is that when you step on the brake pedal you have about 4-5 inces of travel thats fine, but ALL of the brake pressure umps in in that last half an inch or so so the car immediatley jerks to a halt. and help would be really appreciated, i have no idea where to go from here. thanks alot.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

did you bleed the master cylinder properly? sure you have the right pads? how about a metering hold off or porportioning valve, does it have one? is it new?

3. Big'nBadK5

i bench bled the master cylinder like a champ, the pads are correct and everything is brand new, i have an adjustable proportioning valve. it all came new in a kit from classic industries for like a grand.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i bench bled the master cylinder like a champ, the pads are correct and everything is brand new, i have an adjustable proportioning valve. it all came new in a kit from classic industries for like a grand.

[/ QUOTE ] Did you bleed the lines ??? Starting at the right rear, then left rear then right front finished at left front too make sure you got all the air out of the lines ??? Sometimes it's the simplest things. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif I like too install new bleeders while I'm at it.

5. Big'nBadK5

all the lines are bled. did it yestarday again just to be sure and nothing but brake fluid came out of the lines. all of the bleeder bolts are new. i'm really stuck on this.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Does it have a vacume booster ??? (Power breaks) No leaks in that system ??? I'll I can say is, if worse comes to worse, pay too have it inspected. See if a shop can figure it out. Once they determin the problem, take it home and fix it yourself. I've been so frustrated trying too track problems down that I've had too do that myself.

7. Big'nBadK5

it has a vacuume booster and as far as i know it is leakless. it's brand spanking ne. how do i tell if it's leaking and where are the common spots that they leak from. thanks

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Check the vacume line that runs to the back of the intake manifold. They can leak at the gromet.

9. Big'nBadK5

no leaks and i swapped out the master cylinder for a brand new unit today... no idea where to go with it from here /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif. getting ready to use a 2x4 and the ground to stop with.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Hey I have a 69 Bird as well with drums I would like to convert. Mind telling me how you went about it? Don't have power brakes on mine. Guessing that needs to be converted. Would like to talk to you about the motor too. Looking to build a 450+ HP 400 myself, sorry for jacking the thread, can't help.

11. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Two things, 1 adjust up your rear brakes as that is what mostly sets where the pedal grabs, and two try adjusting the prop. valve to send more to the front. If it doesnt help, then try sending more to the rear. I put a Wilwood drag race brake kit on my 69 firebrd and had no problems. I went from manual drums all the way around to manual disc/drum combo. I am still using the stock prop. valve.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Big'nBadK5

i have tried all of that, at this point i am sending the doughnut back to the compay i bought it from to have it inpected and see if its bad. past that i have no idea.