Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pontiac G6 or Mercury Milan? (Update, post #21)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigjbear, Aug 30, 2006.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Pontiac G6 or Mercury Milan? It is time to make a decision.

After looking at, and driving a bunch of cars I've got it narrowed down to these two. I've got the price at about the same for either one, but right now the Merc gets that price with 0% APR, the G6 doesn't. If I can get GM to give me the price I want and 0% I'll get the G6, otherwise I'll get the Milan.

Anybody know a way to get the discount and 0% from GM?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Tell your Pontiac dealler about what the Mercury dealler is offering, and see if they will meet or beat thier deal. They want too make a sale, see how much they're willing too deal.

3. bigjbear

I'm going to do that today. We came up with some #s last night and of course both wanted me to sign, but I just told them I wanted to sleep on it and think things over. I let them know I was definitely buying something this week. That ought to whet their appetites. Hopefully one, or both of them, will call me today.

4. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I dont know which model you were planning on getting on the Milan, but I have a Mazda6s which is a a very similar car. They are off the same platform. It has been a very good car so far, 16000 miles in the past year and 0 problems. Thats better than my Nissan had done for me.

I average 20mpg but EPA claims I think 22 city and 27hwy. I get 25 if I am on a road trip. I would assume the Milan is similar. I dont know if you have driven one of them, but you might try it if you like the looks of them. They handle pretty good and are pretty fun to drive. Mazdas credit plans normally suck but you can normally talk them down fairly far, especially if they have any incentives and finance through a credit union.

I personally dont like the looks of the G6 but it is your car. Good luck with your purchase.

5. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

i think they are both good lookin cars, whatever one you get the best deal for and what you like best.. i would play around with them for a little bit and give them fake numbers that another dealer would give..

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Dunno about the milans, but the G6 is about the most over complicated car of it's size. Can't really say how many control modules, but there are a bunch. Has so many modules, it needs three different communication networks. Electric power steering is kind of cool though. Sucks when it breaks though.

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

do your self a favor and search on edmunds about the pontiac, Ive heard of some funky issues with the electronics, ignition and something that made one just shut off going down the free way..

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

We have had our 2003 Impala for thousands of miles now with no electronic issues . One bad lock cylinder , but to be fair I have a bazillion keys hanging from it .

Its like that with anything , the bad apple gets the press and gives the rest as bad name , and the "other" cars issues don't get publicized .

I say get the GM procuct . Its a good ride and the new a/c system will give you frostbite :D

9. bigjbear

I drove them both and a few others as well. I liked those two the best for what I was willing to spend.

After getting what I thought was a good price from both I started to talk finanacing with both. The price stayed the same on the Milan, but went up with the G6. The Merc was more comforatable but the Ponco was sportier. Like I said I liked them both so it came down to the money. I bought the ...

Milan

10. bigjbear

I'll get the big camera out tomorrow, but here's a quick one in the dark.
    [​IMG]

11. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Congrats - I hope it was a good choice. Keep us posted, I'm looking right now and the Milan is on my list - I'd love to hear your thoughts after driving it a bit.

12. bigjbear

13. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I like the look of the milan... sporty yet classy at the same time.

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

That is the best looking Merc in a long time..........

15. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

nice looking car! what are the specs on it? you get awd?

16. bigjbear

Thanks, its a long comute car. So all the cush stuff w/ the smallest engine. Basicly, all the power options-seats, windows, ect, 6 disc CD changer (plays MP3s, too), leather, 4 cly, five speed auto, aluminium wheels, fog lights (it took me a while to figure out how to turn them on, pretty cool switch), all the radio and heat/air controls in the steering wheel. All the remote buttons are built into the key, which is something I think should have happened years ago. It was actually tough to find one that wasn't stripped AND had the 4 cyl. And 0% APR rocks, too!

17. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

thats why I said to look on edmunds,

its not just one bad apple, your car is a fine example of what I am talking about:p:

I personally like the cars myself

18. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Any updates? Driving impressions - general review of the first few months of ownership?

19. bigjbear

Sure, got some likes and a short list of things that are annoying.

First the bad. The glove box latch is in the center of the glove box door. Most cars are like this, but my Jeep GC has it offset to the left, making it easier for the driver to reach. The pasenger front window isn't one touch down like the driver's side. It is not as smooth as the G6 GT at 80+ MPH.

The good- well if I'm complaining about the glove box latch location it must be a good car! It is quicker than my Bonneville was (3.8 V6 in the Pontiac vs 2.3 I4 in the Merc) Great gas mileage, almost 30 MPG highway and 26 city/highway, no idea on city only- it rarely gets driven like that. I've heard it may get a little better once it gets broken in. IIRC EPA said 23/31. The steering wheel controls for heat/AC, cruise, & radio are nice. I didn't care about them when I bought it, but really like them now. The "climate control" is so much nicer than just normal heat/AC, especially here in Atlanta where the weather is always changing. I also like that it is not a popular car, so I don't see a lot of them on the road. Even thought I bought it for the highway it is a great car in the city, good turn radius and no big overhangs, very easy to park. Also, the back seat has decent leg room for a modern mid-size. My oldest and my wife say much better than a G6 or Jetta. The stereo rocks. I think it sounds great, but I'm no expert.

I'll hit 5k miles and get its 1st oil change next week. I like it and am very happy. Let me know if have any specific questions. I forgot I need to take some better pics, too.

Mine is a Milan Premier, if that matters/helps in a decision

20. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the update. I've driven a Milan and a Fusion - I do wish it were a little smoother at high speeds. But it looks like a fun/good car. I like the options you can get on a fairly inexpensive car. I also like that you aren't locked into packages. I'm glad you like it - I'll keep it on my list.