Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pontiac might bring back GTO!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Triaged, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Could it be? GM is thinking of importing Holden (GM in Australia) Monaros and making them into GTO's. This wouldn't be like the Monte' or the Impala w/ FWD and a GAY V6...we're talking a RWD with a V8! At least some of GM's ideas arn't so stupid. If any of you guys care I think it can most likely be attributed to Robert Lutz (GM's new vice chairman).

2. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

By the way for you young pups. GTO used to stand for"Grand Turismo Omoligato" ..which translated to english meant Grand Touring Homoligation. Homoligation meant that the car companies had to prove that they could buid a certain amount of these super cars to sell to the general public. Usually 2 to 300 cars. Hertz rent a car actually had Shelby GT 350 and 500's that guys would race on the weekends after welding in a roll-bar.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Thats great. It's about time they brought back some performace rear drive cars.
    I just got a my CAR & Drive last night in the mail. They are also looking ad bringing us another kewl show car. The car is a running show car. Almost all the parts are off the shelf. It's built on a Cavilear platform but rear wheel drive. It runs the Camaro 6 speed tranny. Uses a 4 cyl engine from the bigger cavalear but they super charged for about 240hp. Four wheel disc of the CTS caddy. Rack and pinion from Subaru (GM owns a large chunk) The weight to HP ratio would be in Z28 league. Car is going to be available as a coupe or a roadster. It's actullay a killer looking car. The rear of the coupe looks reminicent of the GT40 Daytona with the spare visiable though the hatch glass and nice high 1/4's. They are talking $25k. might be a replacement for the F body cars.
    Maybe Lutz is going to fix the car end of GM cause for the last 10 years they have been putting out some ugly junk and most of it front drive.

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

a little more history on the GTO, as per Speedvisions `Tribute to classic Muscle cars: GTO'

GTO, in its italian term went to the fastest car built for that year, generaly a Ferrari. then, these upstart American car engineers decided to build a factory equiped basicaly race ready car, that people could afford.

back in the day, GM had a lame rule: you could not put more then 1 CID per 10 Lbs of car, so thier idea of the GTO was almost killed before birth. so, to get around this rule, they offered up the base model as a (tempest?) with a 327 CID engine ( the car weighed in at approximately 3300 Lbs) and then they offered up the GTO trim package which came with a 389(?), chrome package, performance manual tranny, better tires, sportier suspensipon, etc, and the real kicker: the GTO package only cost about $300 more then the base model package. so, a few people bought them, and started beating people on the street & strip, without doing any modifications to them, so more people bought them, sweeping in the Muscle car era. ( by muscle car era, I mean you could buy a factory stock muscle car, that could concievably blow the doors off of other cars) with the GTO sales climbing, the other car manufacturers hopped the bandwagon, and began selling affordable race ready muscle cars, including the Hemi cuda, (the mustang? or did that come first... little sketchy on the dates) olds cutlass 442, the Camaro, the Charger/Challengers, etc.

if they bring the GTO back, it MUST have a V-8 in it, an engine displacement greater then 1 CID/10Lbs, have the `6 pack' option available, and be affordable for high schoolers to buy. with that said, I don't think we're going to get a true GTO, but hopefully we get something close.

I hope my attempt at history facts havn't gotten too jumbled up... the one I do know for certain is the GTO was the first muscle car, and if I ever find one I can afford, its MINE! (on a side note, I'm only 22 years old... not all of us `youngun's are completely lost on the history of the muscle cars)

5. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

I was there for the 60's, being 52, and wouldn't trade that time for anything..I tried to buy/drive them all and had races everyweekend. It was a fun time even with the flower children period. Sure wish I had kept a few of the muscle cars I have owned.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Those cars are pretty darn bad. I have checked out some web sites of GM for the Aussie and South African markets and basicly the cars are BMW killers usually they are equal in size to the BMW 5 and 7 series with the Vett's 350 and most the time a manual tranny. Unlike here they are not resticted by by all of our smog laws so they can really scream, but of course that would change here.
    Hell I would be happy if they would just build rear drive cars even if they only had a 4banger or a V6. For years they have tried to sell this ideal of front wheel drive being safer, but if you look at the best handling cars in the world they are 95% rear drive. You never really hear any one say "hey this handels like a front wheel drive car" NO the usually say "hey this handels like a Vett" or something similer.

7. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

holdens...sweet!
    for those of you unfaniliar picture a grand prix-ish car with a vette v8 shoehorned in and rear wheel drive. drool

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Stoney, I'm a 49 model myself....I remember Coach Swineford getting one of the first 65 Mustang Fastbacks....271hp, 4spd....Big Bad Blue in color.....pulled the wheels and carried 'em about 15ft in the teachers parking lot one afternoon.....I creamed my jeans on the spot......first GTO was a 64 with 389 4bbl.....late 64 and early 65 they got the 3 duece (365hp, I believe)....coils springs all around made 'em handle Really bad, but they went straight really fast......the first real Muscle car was actually the 57 Buick Special.....310hp (heavy car, tho)......in 55, the Police Special Chevy ran a 283 w/ 2x4 for 285hp.....I think in those days, the factories simply made up a number that kept management at bay.....real numbers were actually higher.....sorta like the Max Wedge 426 being advertised at 425hp when it was actually makin' over 500.....add to that the fact that Sunoco 260 was 30 cents a gallon (leaded 106 octane)....I liked it better when cars had real personalities........Man, I could go on with this forever........I just can't get it up for a buncha 500hp turbo'd, nitro'd, 4cyl Rice Runners with coffee can fart pipes, and kamikazi sticker all over.......bring back the good 'ol days.......

9. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

Brining back the GTO would be way too cool. My parents had a '66 GTO and I loved that car, BTW I was born in '67. That was my mom's car and my dad had a '74 chevy blazer. I loved the '70's as a kid. Getting stuck in the blazer on the weekends and ridin' around with mom during the week./forums/images/icons/cool.gif I got to drive the blazer at 14, then my dad sold it and got an '82 chevy p/u diesel/forums/images/icons/frown.gif I would love to have those cars today. I guess we'll see what GM comes up with.

10. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

If they bring back the muscle cars, are they gonna look like the T-bird? Gawd, I hope not..lets see the look from the late 60's again when they were awesome.. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

This is the <a target="_blank" href=http://www.holden.com.au/app/serve?page=monaroOverview&amp;req=null&amp;model=monaro&amp;cartype=18001>Monaro</a>

BTW: 225kW = 302 H.P. and 460 N*m = 340 lb*ft