Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pontiac motor in 85 Firebird

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Blaze, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

My newest project. I'm going to try swapping a built Pontiac 400 and TH350 into an 85 Firebird that had a 2.8L V6 and 700R4. Thsi car is going to be a Frankenstein and will probably require a lot of work, but it will be awesome to have something like that! What do you guys think?

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

You gonna keep the stock badging (if there is any) and make it a sleeper. I love frankenstein cars. My dream is to build a 3 rotor, twin turbo, mid-engined VW bug. I think it would spank just about anything on the road.

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I'm probably going to make it a Formula clone. I've always wanted a 91-92 Formula with a Pontiac motor in it. Of course, it will be a sleeper Formula and look stock!

4. 4x4dreamer

Right on. Sleepers are the best.

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Just found out the car is dark green, too. I'm going to leave it bone stock except for a whale-tail spoiler (Formula or TA style) and the big motor. If this car is faster than my 79 TA, I'll be very happy!

6. 4x4dreamer

You gonna keep an auto or go manual? What's your preference on Auto Shifters? I like a B&M.

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Well, I have a 78 Trans Am that is rusted, but I bought it with a recently built 400 and a recently built TH350, so I'm going to keep it auto. The tranny I have has a brand new TC, B&M shift kit, and has been all redone. I like the B&M shifters, I'll probably go with one of those.

8. 4x4dreamer

I almost bought a 69 Chevelle with a B&M ratchet shifter, thing had a 307 in it and some moron put a shifter in it...it had a powerglide too. So the shifter was way up under the dash. I would have had to fix that. Wife talked me out of it, kinda glad really.

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Why would you need a ratchet shifter in a 2-spd auto car? What a dummy!

10. 4x4dreamer

EXACTLY!!! I was gonna swap it over to a 3 speed, but I would have had to patch a hole in the floor and everything. It was converted from a column shift too, which was just wrong cuz they left most of the column shifter in place. I'd still love to get a '69 chevelle (best looking year in my opinion) but I've got too much to do on the Jimmy right now. Then my bike needs love too...too many projects, not enough money.

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean. I got myself down to one project, my 79 Bandit TA. I told myself the rest of the cars I pick up will be parts only. I got a parts car with the new drivetrain and now this 85 and I figured why not. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. 4x4dreamer

yeah, I can understand your sickness. My poor bike has been neglected lately because I've been working on my truck so much. But this weekend I'm gonna do the front wheel bearing on the bike and take it for a spin. Someday I'll get that Mid-engine thing built...but that's a ways down the road.

13. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

What kind of bike do you have?

BTW, the 85 will be here about 11 am tomorrow! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. 4x4dreamer

It's an '89 Yamaha FJ 1200. Awesome bikes, most people don't know what they are, but the people who have them are fanatical about them. Best roll on times in top gear of any bike ever from what I understand. Mine's got a Kerker (Go 80's..woo hoo) exhaust with Supertrapp header, a stage 3 dyno kit (individutal K&N filters for each carb, new jets, etc), and been bored out to 1196 (from 1188). I have another header I want to put on it, but Ill have to get a new midpipe for it, but then it should pick up some more oomph. The rear gear has also been taken down 2 teeth I believe for better acceleration, at the cost of Mileage. I figure (never been tested) I'm pushing between 115-120 HP. Stock is like 105. Best thing is the torque. Not bad for a carb'd, Air cooled engine...

15. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Damn, that is pretty cool! Is that a sportbike or a cruiser? I'm not too up on bikes. I like em, but don't know one from the other. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. 4x4dreamer

Here's a picture of it. It's actually considered a Sport/Tourer. It was a "superbike" when it came out, but by the next year, Yamaha and all the other companies had already outdone it. Pic of the FJ Still a powerhouse with the oomph based on Torque, don't have to rev it to get power out of it.

17. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

That's pretty nice. I like those bikes, very nice looking!

18. 4x4dreamer

I like it a lot. Unfortunatley, one of the PO's rolled it and destroyed the Fairing, so I'm not running one right now. About 170 for a new one, shipped from South America. Soon I hope. I eat Mustangs like they were nothing on it, but I've got a serious Power To weight advantage on them. It's only got a 150 section rear tire, but I'm gonna convert it to a 170 someday in the near future. That'll help it hook up better. There's a guy out there with a turbo on his, it's pushing like 250 HP...it's crazy.

19. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Damn, 250 on a bike? Geez!

20. 4x4dreamer

yeah, that's too much. I don't really want too much more power, I've had it for over a year and still haven't pinned the throttle. It gets to 60 faster than I can realize that I need to shift into 2nd. It's a good feeling.