Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pontiac Smallblock Turbo setup

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Sep 28, 2001.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So my neighbor comes over today and tells me about this setup he's had for a while but doesn't want anymore. He asked me if I want to buy it from him...
    I think it's origianally off a 5.0 or 5.1L Pontiac smallblock.
    It's a single turbo, with the wastegate, exhaust manifolds,
    crossover,intake manifold, and the HEI ignition with the right ignition curve for the turbo. It's for a carburator also, so I will have to see how I would be able to make this work.
    I was thinking of putting it on my blazer, but now I might want to build a whole other car with a Turbo Smallblock Chevy.
    But putting it on my blazer is still not out of the question.
    When I get a hold of the turbo and everything I'll take a picture or two and post it when I get time in a few weeks.

Anyone care to add their 2 cents? Anyone done a turbo swap?

2. 70K5BLZR

70K5BLZR Registered Member

RYAN GO FOR IT!!! I HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN TURBOCHARGING AND FUEL INJECTION FOR 15 YEARS, WHEN AMERICA WAS STILL SWEARING WITH HOLLEYS AND BLOWERS! THER'S A VERY HELPFUL BOOK ON TURBOCHARGING BY HUGH MC GINNIS JUST CALLED TURBOCHARGING.YOUR OPTIONS ARE UNLIMITED,IF YOU WANT LOW ENDD GRUNT GO WITH 2 SMALL CHARGERS. THE BEST RESULTS I'VE SEEN WITH 2 SMALL T04 OR T03 TURBOS AND TPI FROM ELECTROMTIVE INC.TURBO LAG IS A THING FROM THE PAST!!!CARBURETORS & DISTRIBUTORS WORK TO BUT CARBS ARE MORE TROUBLESOME.THE SETUP FROM ELECTROMOTIVE IS A LOT EASIER TO PROGRAM FOR BOTH IGNITION AND INDUCTION. HOPE THESE TIPS CAN HELP. KEEP ME POSTED. SUCCES!!!!!

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the 301 turbo motor they put in Trans-Ams for a couple of years. That thing has a reputation as a POS.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

4. Dave_S

Dave_S Registered Member

That's the 4.9L they had in the late 70's... or early 80's. Can't remember wich. I do know it was in Smokey and the Bandit 2.

I wonder if its worth the effort to put a turbo V8 into such a heavy truck. Also, the turbo is only effective at higher RPMs... and that isn't really conducive to a heavy truck either.

But then... the world is full of people that don't see things exactly the way I do;) If you decide to go with it... best of luck to you. It will definately be an adventure.

I'm kinda hoping that Trans-Am guy that lurks around here (AKA Steve Chin) kicks in on this one.

Dave

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The 301 Turbo (it's not a small-block, it has the same bore spacing as the 326, 350, 400, 421, 428, 455, etc. It's a short-deck engine) has a really low mechanical compression ratio. I believe it's something under 7:1. It also runs a relatively high amount of boost (14 psi). They did this to try to make it more driveable (so that it's almost always into boost conditions). Anyhow, I believe that trying to adapt this system to a Chevy small-block will be a rather large pain in the butt. Most of the parts will need to be modified in some way or thrown out all together and replaced wiht fabricated parts. If you do decide to go for it, I'd suggest replacing the turbosupercharger unit, as junkyard turbos are usually only useable as cores (bearings are usually shot). Also, be prepared for a long ordeal and sinking lots of dough into this modification.

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well put steve.
    Makes me rethink it again.

Thanks everyone for your oppinions/suggestions.
    Anymore?