Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pontiac transport alternator installed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 81jimmyslt, Sep 21, 2005.

1. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Well I did the upgrade because my poor stock alternator couldn't charge my battery worth a damn. I installed a new stereo system and it couldn't keep up at idle or revving. The voltage dropped all the way to 9 or so volts at stop lights.

So I opted for the 94' transport minivan 3.8 lite w/ rear A/c compliments of the CK5 community. I weighed my options with ordering a powermaster unit or a similar aftermarket 140 amp alternator, but decided to just pick one up at NAPA.

Unfortunately the $99 price I kept reading about was for the 108 amp model and the 140 amp was still 149.99 plus a $60 core.

part # 66173 alternator
    # EC101 for the pigtail adapter.

I went to the yard and got an alternator for a core. This way I can use my old alternator as a spare. I also had the guys at the junk yard swap pulleys for me because the transport alternator comes with the serpentine style.

THe only mod I had to make to my bracket was unbolt half of it so the other part can pivot out farther, works fine.

I am definately satisfied with the alternator. The voltage meter barely even moves, when my stereo is on, at idle. Now I should still have some room left for some lights. Eventually a winch and a yellow top for a dual setup too.

Jesse

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Never heard of that one before. Thanks for posting this up. I could use a 140A Alt.
    Are there any stipulations to what engine configurations it will fit, as far as mounting goes? Sounds easy enough, i just want to be sure before i drop the coin on one

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

glad you got it to work.. I couldnt.. had nightmare of problems... I have both the $20 delco adapter and also a $6 pigtail... tried both but no go.. autozone tested my alternator and said it was good.. I just havent ventured back to that path yet :doah:

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Here is what my search of autozone produced:

ALTERNATOR for a
    1994 PONTIAC TRUCK TRANS SPORT
    WITH REAR A/C (Change)
    Normal Stock

Item Part
    No.
    Warranty Core
    Value Unit
    Price Availability
    Store Web
    DURALAST
    140 AMP DL1400-6-4 LLT $20.00 $94.99
    PREMIUM QUALITY REMAN, SOME NEW COMPONENTS

5. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

cool, got any pics?

i'm leaving to drive 180+mi's to chattanooga to replace the third powermaster alt on my friends car, using the delco alt that was on his caddy the day he bought it.

i watched them rebuild the second and third alt's at their place here in knoxville, it looked good both times they built it, and both were under warranty, but it has broken down several times and completely locked up once...

i really think the overdrive pulleys that P/M uses are just too much, i'm going to swap to a stock pulley when it gets fixed i just hope that the bigger pulley still allows it to kick on...

granted even when it works, he sucks down the power with his stereo, and with a/c and the heat outside it's not a surprise that it keeps dying...