Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pontiac Vibe

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

What do you think of them?
    i bought one. they call them a sport wagon. i do have to say for the low powered engine i got it is a bit sporty. we bought it because if we have to move any time soon we can put all the animals in it and drive across country. thing has a bit of lag at first but picks up speed after about 2500RPM. we got the auto but i knida wanted the 180HP 6speed. it just cost to much. oh and it is a toyota corolla drivetrain. damn design shares. toyota matrix is the same thing. ill post up a pic in a bit.
    Grant

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Post some pics.

I'm a Pontiac owner, 2 for 2. Got a '95 Grand Am and a '00 GTP. Pontiac makes some of the best cars out there. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    oh and it is a toyota corolla drivetrain.

[/ QUOTE ] I really can't talk bad about Toyota drivetrains. Most of the older Toyota's were still running great after the body had fallen apart. May not be the most powerfull, but damn dependable.

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

A guy I work with has a 76 2wd pickup. 4cyl 4sp. The damn thing has over 325,000 miles and has never had the motor rebuilt. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Runs like a top. I'm jealous!

Kris

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pontiac makes some of the best cars out there.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree but they fawked up with the Aztec.

6. Seventy4Blazer

i like the aztec without the plastic cladding. it still needs some work done on it with the body lines but has some great design breakthroughs. nobody can deny that. well ya can, but then... well. whatever.
    anywhoo, the vibe in a way looks a lot like the aztec, just smaller. im posting up some pics as i type this.
    they will be in the next post.
    Grant

7. Seventy4Blazer

[​IMG]
    thats the outside. i told ya it looks a bit like the aztec. but not to much. belive it or not this is one of the few red cars i will ever own. we really dont like red cars. but this one to us looks good.

[​IMG]
    the interior has fold flat seeting, storage up the a$$, hidden compartments, 115V AC plug in. the front passangers seat folds flat(this one with the 115 outlet are to cause car wrecks. for your lap top to sit on.)
    Grant

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Our neighbor has a Vibe, they've had it over a year now and it's grown on me. It's pretty sporty looking...and really the only thing I was surprised at was the drum brakes on the rear.

Other than that it looks like it would be a decent daily driver.

Rene

9. Seventy4Blazer

yeah, thats the main reason we got it. i didnt post it up because it would have made me mad at the time. BUT our 97 geo metro was starting to go down hill had HIGH miles on it and had been broken into 5 times. the last was a few days ago where this time instead of the CD's or stereo the tried to take the car itself. i dont know why. for JOY RIDEing you have to take a car that is JOYFULL to RIDE in... not a POS geo...
    i dunno.
    i though they came out in 03? did they buy one as soon as they came out?
    Grant

10. tRustyK5

Yeah, it's an 03...I guess they snagged the first one out at the local dealership. I didn't even know what it was when I first saw it.

The interior looks pretty well done, comfy looking and pretty functional. Like I said the styling is growing on me. If the drivetrain is Toyota I'm sure it'll be quite a reliable car...

rene

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I saw a write up on those Vibes in Car & Driver when they fist came out. The 6 speed manual, did 0 to 60 in 7 seconds. Not Bad. C&D recomended getting the manual trans for performance.

12. Seventy4Blazer

yeah, i wanted the GT, but they are getting hard to find. they can only order 04 models now. and the GT was a bit out of our budget for getting the power windows and all.
    drove it through a pass today, did 80 buth up and down the pas. with only 130HP and a 4 speed auto i think that is kind of nice. especialy since i could have gone faster but traffic wouldnt allow it safely.

the GT has 180HP, a hundred per liter. thats a bit impressive to me for an off the shelf grocery getter. especialy with the 6 speed. i plan on driving an 04 model GT when they get one here. just to see if it would be worth me trading in the 03. the dealerships want to get them on the road bad since it is a new ride. i got this one for 18,500 and it stickers out at 23000.
    Grant
    Grant

13. tRustyK5

That's the equivalent to a 570 hp 350...impressive indeed!/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

14. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Curious...does anyone know the price difference between a comparably equipped Pontiac Vibe and the Toyota Matrix? I think they are both sharp looking cars...just wondering if Toyota can charge more for the same thing just b/c of their name. I wasn't aware the Vibe used a Toyota drivetrain.

15. Seventy4Blazer

the toy cost less, that is untill you add any options, BUT the power windows and doors come standard on the toy.
    also toyota has less of a factory rebate. in the end they cost about the same. within a few hundred of each other for the same options. the thing is the pontiac it 2.4 inches or some crap taller and just under 2 inches longer, and still weights almost 125LBS less. to me it is a bit more comfy inside, and i like the looks both inside and out better than the matrix. they have all the same compartments inside and almost identical interior except for the dash and some seat changes. but nothing noticable. the interior head room on my vibe with a sunroof is great. i am 6'3'' and i have like 5 or 6 inches of headroom in the BACK seat and ike 2 more up front.
    the more i drive this thing the more i like it.
    Grant

16. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Glad you like it. I'm not much into it, I'm a Pontiac loyalist. I love Pontiacs and even got my dad to buy a Montana, but the Aztec and Vibe don't strike me. I own 6 Firebirds/Trans Ams in various states, so I love Pontiacs.

Have fun with it, though!
    [​IMG]

17. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Glad you like it. I'm not much into it, I'm a Pontiac loyalist. I love Pontiacs and even got my dad to buy a Montana, but the Aztec and Vibe don't strike me. I own 6 Firebirds/Trans Ams in various states, so I love Pontiacs.

Have fun with it, though!
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]Wanna trade a K5 for a T/A? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

18. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Sure! How about this one? [​IMG]

I have the nose for it, it is in my shed. Just add motor! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sure! How about this one? [​IMG]

I have the nose for it, it is in my shed. Just add motor! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Ah nevermind. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> My brother has had the Matrix for a bit over a year. He got the 180hp 6 speed one and added the 17" wheels, I've never even seen another one with those wheels on it. Fun little car to drive, but the engine is certainly not suited for a commuter. Redlines at something like 8500RPM and the power doesn't even really come on until close to 6000. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif </font>