Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poor electric window performance

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cuervo, Apr 20, 2004.

1. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

Hey all,

I've got an 87 GMC Jimmy with an eletric rear window. I replaced the motor and cable. I also greased the gears.

The sad news is once I put the window back together, it doesn't have the power to roll the window up without me pushing up on the window. What gives?

Any ideas would be a great help at this point.

-Tim

2. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Check volts going to motor, and maybe clean and grease the track.

3. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

Yeah, I greased the gears and track when I had it apart. I'll have to check the volts going to the motor. I did get up under the truck and check the wires running back to the motor. They all look good but you never know.

The new motor is one from Advanced Auto. It was $100.00 cheaper then Bill Heard wanted for a new one.

-Tim

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

It may be the weatherstripping binding it up. Open the tailgate and trip the driver's side latch to defeat the safety switch and while you're supporting the tailgate in the upmost position (without it going into the top) roll up the window using the key switch on the gate. If it rolls up normally then the weatherstripping in the top is causing it to bind. If it still doesn't roll up then it may be the weatherstripping in the gate that's binding it. Remove the inside piece of weatherstripping in gate and see if it moves up easier without it. If it does then you may need new gate weatherstipping.
    One of my door windows was very slow and it ended up being the door shell opening was too small (aftermarket door). I had to pull the sheetmetal out a little and now the window works. So maybe your gate got bent slightly and is piching the window (if that makes sense).

5. TOMER

TOMER Registered Member

I think that first thing to do is to connect the wire directlly to the batterry,that way you can confirm that the poroblem is the wires or the switch.

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

at the risk of sounding like a jerk, can you say multimeter???? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

grease everything and make sure no binding up in vertical track felts,

if all checks out good then id say worn motor, common problem in higher mileage rigs, power window motors wear out and get weak, thats all there is to it

good luck