Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poor Heat

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, Oct 16, 2004.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Its starting to get cold again and my heat just isnt what its supposed to be. This all started last winter after I had to replace the radiator. The heat is warm but its not hot enough. Before the new radiator the heat would run you out of the truck, now it doesnt. Average lows here in the dead of winter are around 15 degrees. I might throw in a new t-stat to see if that changes anything but other than that I dunno... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Ever back-flushed your heater core?

Takes about 15 minutes w/ access to a garden hose /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Then you'll be in w/ heat. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

P.S. My g/f mentioned I didn't use enough Graemlins:
    /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Backflush as stated.. but be very careful if you take the connections off the heater core, you do not want ot cause a leak by yanking on the hoses. It can loosen the solder at the core itself. If you dont have a 195 t-stat, it may be time to look at getting one for the winter.

John

4. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Backflush as stated.. but be very careful if you take the connections off the heater core, you do not want ot cause a leak by yanking on the hoses. It can loosen the solder at the core itself. If you dont have a 195 t-stat, it may be time to look at getting one for the winter.

John

[/ QUOTE ]

Should never, ever, never go lower than 195* on a CSB. EVER. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

5. daleearnhardt01

Thanks John, I would imagine it has the 195 in it because of the TBI but ill replace it anyways...

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the t-stat was bad, your whole engine would run cold. Whats the gauge telling you?

7. daleearnhardt01

Yeh its got to be a bad t-stat Dorian cause the dang motor is running cold as crap. Its in the 50's for highs now and today It bairly got midway between the 100* and mid mark. So its not even getting close to 195 on the gauge..Guess I answered my own question.. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. daleearnhardt01

Threw a new t-stat in er and boy now the heat is great...Got to take the hose back off though cause its leaking around the water neck, guess theres some crud or something on it..

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

heats so overrated, though, my will burn you leg if you leave it next to the vent too long /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

John

[/ QUOTE ]

Should never, ever, never go lower than 195* on a CSB. EVER. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've run and do run 180* degree stat's and NEVER had a problem.. But thanks for your concern.

John