Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poor idle pondering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justhorsinaround, Mar 30, 2004.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well here we go. A couple of days ago Ole Wimpy started idleing quite poorly along with a serious rich smell comin out of the exhaust. Now then to possibly complicate or maybe clarify the issue the big brake idiot light has been comin on and then goin off again. With the exception of the Edelbrock carb and intake and the Accel distributor I would think the motor is bone stock. So you don't have to look the Blazer is a 76 with a 350 motor 350 tranny. I haven't done any lookin into is as I've been puttin in some serious work hours the last couple of days. I have some ideas as to what may have gone awry but I thought I'd put the question out for some brainstorms from y'all. Thanks in advance and good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I would check vacume lines first. How does it do at higher speeds (if it peters out check the filter). I don't really do engines, so you might want to wait for a better reply though.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I got a couple ideas. I could come by and help. Could just be some dirty gas. Could be the weather change. I can never just leave mine as is , I find I need to adjust my mixture screws when its winter, and when its summer. Was thinkin checking the hoses and baseplate for leaks. Check the timing. When was the last time you tuned it up? I do major tune up each spring, and just adjust peiodically as needed. As for the brake idiot light, how do the brakes feel? Are you low on fluid? Call me if you need help Allan. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I'm wondering if the brake booster is going out, causing the brake light to come on at times, also causing a little vacuum leak? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. justhorsinaround

Sorry forgot to mention it still runs like a scalded cat once you crack the throttle. It evens out, no more misfires or anythin. I'm kinda afraid it might be the brake booster cuz on account the brakes aren't quite what they used to be and a couple of times it felt like the brake pedal in it's travel reached a hitch in it's giddy up if that makes any sense. Any other ideas are very welcome! Thanks in advance and good luck.

Allan

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Try disconnecting the hose that goes to the booster and capping it off to prevent any possible leak and see how it runs, naturally you won't have power brakes, so if you try n drive it, be aware

7. justhorsinaround

Be aware of what????? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Heck fire we drove the Suburban without a booster for more than a month before we sold it. Yes the guy that bought it knew about it. Geez what kinda folks do ya think we are?? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif That ain't a bad idea about cappin that line off and see what happens. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Keep the ideas rollin please. Good luck to y'all.

Allan

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Just meant be aware of the sudden change in pressure.
    I had just the opposite happen to me a month or so ago, i just got putting new front pads on, bolted everything back up and went inside a got cleaned up, then got something to eat. Guess what i forgot to do? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif My driveway has a pretty good down hill slope to it, well while backing out, i went to hit the brakes and it went to the floor, scared the sheot out of me, i ended up throwing it in park really hard, needless to say, i learned. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. pauly383

My booster went out twice. The 20 year old one went out in TJs driveway, mine got soft and went to floor, which is strange since when the engines off they are usually stiffer . Replaced it with Autozone booster , got 9 months top out of it before I had to warranty it. After doing it twice , we could help ya do it quickly if ya need it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. justhorsinaround

As soon as Jenn gets back from school I'll check the booster line to see. Can't leave the little urchins alone long enough to work on the truck they'll up and destroy somethin. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Talk to y'all again soon and good luck.

Allan

11. pauly383

OK Allan. If you want to chat about it anyway, I have no OL Lady tonight so I will be home. Give me a call. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. justhorsinaround

Well maybe it was bad gas. Yea, yea, yea, ha, ha, ha. Went out this afternoon and even though it kinda had a hard time startin it evened right out. By the way, puhlenty of vaccuum at the booster as I still have a little suction mark on the end of my finger. I'm thinkin that the booster may still be on the way out the door as the brake idiot light came on again. I let the e-brake go tapped the regular brake pedal and the light went out again. Anywhos it probly will come back when I go to drive it again cuz it's not bein threatened with bein worked on. It's the whole mechanic lookin at the vehicle syndrome. Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan