Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poor man's 4" lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jagged, May 11, 2005.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Allright, I've been trying to do some research on this, and I just want to verify this idea before I try to put forth the effort.

Flipping my rear shackles will give me 4" of lift in the rear, correct?
    Using rear springs in the front will give about 4" of lift in the front, correct?

And finally, an easy way to get another inch or two is using some zero-rates or blocks, correct?

If all that works, would it be a good idea to replace the stock shocks? What other considerations are there with a 4-5" lift, like driveshafts and steering?

Thanks in advance, I really apreciate any input.

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I'll take a stab at it. with 52's up front your going to need shocks, brake lines, most likley new front shaft and crossovover. for the rear it will be simple just new shocks and brake lines.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

correct.

correct... here is a link to my writeup on it.

http://coloradok5.com/52inchspringswap.shtml

I always recommend zero rates over blocks. Never use blocks up front no matter what you do.

you'll pretty much have too if you want the suspension to work at all. If you don't have a lot of $ to spend right now, go with some gabriels... they are in the $20-ish class. If you have a little more... you might try Doetsch Tech DT8000s, $35-ish/ea. If you want monotubes, I suggest BBCS-15s from poly performance, $99/ea. To get the maximum benefit of longer shocks, you'll need to do custom mounting (do a search for "ford shock towers"), but that is generally cheap/easy.

with 52s up front you're going to have lots of suspension droop, you'll need a long travel front driveshaft. Also, with 52s you have to use crossover steering. Lots of places to get crossover steering arms... i recommend WFO Concepts. Thats what I use. blackwidowperformance.com can make your tierod/draglink for ya.

if you have any other questions, let me know,

j

4. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Smokey's right. Everything I've seen on swapping 52" springs up front can get expensive quick. Read the excellent writeup on it in the tech area. Basically, the 52's do move the axle enough that the stock "push-pull" steering arrangement won't work. So add the cost of a 2wd steering box, cross over parts and the mods to the axle to accept the x-over. It is not cheap.

Cheapest way to get 4" without having to resort to x-over steering and everything needed for that would be a basic 4" spring up front and a homebrew shackle flip in the rear. Buy the springs used from somebody that upgraded to 6" or just better springs or go for a cheap kit. I got a a rough country 4" kit with shocks and the raised steering arm for $295 (free shipping too) ditched the bocks in the rear for a pair of Echobit shackle flip brackets and had mine up and running in a weekend. Don't get me wrong, everybody pisses and moans about rough country that they are too stiff. They are stiffer than more expensive BDS or Tough country springs, but to me they are not obnoxious, firm but not kidney killers. They flex ok for me but I'm not going for a 1000pt RTI score. The Shackle flip in the rear did a lot to smooth out my ride, maybe counteracting some of the stiffness of the front springs. For the overall price and what you get, the rough country kit was the ticket for me and my budjet. Still need longer front brake lines though.....

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

thanks, i think i'm gonna have to bite the bullet and actually try to find some lift springs for the front, just a matter of poking around some junkyards here. My last trip out to kansas city, I saw a really neat one "4x4 Salvage"... dunno what their prices are, but they had a couple acres of scrapped rigs. In the meantime, I'll be stuffing cash in the proverbial sock so maybe I could actually get some decent parts :P

jekbrown: thanks for the recommendations on the shocks

6. jekbrown

the cost of going to 52s all depends on what stage of developement your K5 is currently in. If its bone stock, it'll cost quite a bit... if its somewhat built up for offroad already (x-over, cool driveshaft, crossover steering etc) then its a "cheap" mod compared to anything else that will get you that kind of front end flex. :)

j

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

in my case, it's pretty much stock except for some engine work and new hubs :|

8. jekbrown

yeppers, just throwing some 4" lift springs in there would be a cheaper alternative then. x-over, driveshafts etc aren't especially cheap. If you're actually going to wheel your rig with big tires (36"+) someday, I usually recommend waiting for x-over until you go D60...

j

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

someday... :D i'm lucky enough to have a 2nd job working at a garage, and know people that can do driveshaft work for me at relatively low cost (pretty much parts+6/12 pack of beer); already ripped up my rear driveshaft once :(

10. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status