Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poor man's beadlock? Rim screws

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Jan 17, 2005.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

http://chevyhiperformance.com/howto/148_0402_pin/

Anyone ever use these? Any results?

I read about those in a magazine a few months ago, and did some looking online. Just not sure if I like the idea of screws in the tire bead.They just dont sound like a good idea to me. There are supposed to be installed 8 screws per side, 16 per wheel. A pack of 35 costs about $12.00

I would like a way to keep the tire secured to the rim, and still be able to drive it pretty much everyday without worry. Ive read a lot about beadlocked rims being driven as a DD, but I havent made up my mind.

Also, how exactly do those weld in beadlocks work? Is the tire permanently attached to the rim?

Thanks
    -Randy

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

weld on beadlocks have 2 rings to one wheel. One ring welds to the wheel. The other ring bolts to the first ring, and sandwiches the bead of the tire between the 2 pieces, "locking" the tire in. Rim screws, they are meant to keep the rim from spinning inside the tire as you go to accelerate. Our big problem is the bead of the tire moving sideways which it would just rip off the screws leaving you with ruined rims and tires.

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I expected something like that would happen with the rim screws. Ive actually read a story on them more than once in a 4x4 magazine. I just grabbed one I thought had a write up. The new "4x4 Garage" has a section on it. Anyway, thanks for answering some q's.
    -Randy

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The screws are typically used by dragsters to keep the tire from spinning on the wheel during burnout. I owuldn't trust them to air down and ride on them on the trail. The weld on beadlocks are the way to go. Ijust finished getting mine on the truck a few weeks ago and have yet to use them on the trail but I feel better with the lip of the tire being sandwhiched between the two pieces of steel.