Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poor mans Hi steer??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Jul 23, 2004.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

After talking to Stephen yesterday and finding out that i caint go to hi steer do to 52" springs and zero rates pushing the axle to far foward, has anyone tried to make a spacer that would bolt to the knuckles and raise the hieght of the tie rod???

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

dana 60 or 44/10 bolt? There are 1" spacers for either one. You just have to think about all the stress you are then puting on those longer studs. Longer = leverage and when ALL your steering forces(both the crossover and hy steer) are going through them thats a lot of force.

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Sled Dog, I think Sapper means putting a spacer on the OEM Tie Rod mounting point. And the only reason I coul see that it wouldn't work the same reason why Sled Dof mentioned. You would be putting a lot of stress on a very LONG bolt that won't have any support around it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'v got 57" fords up front pushing it 5" forward and from what i have found I just need to run a 1" spacer on the arms and a new hole to be drilled on my steering arms. putting the tie rod out front and the drag link behind it.

*** edit, but mines a 44 *** /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea like 55willy said, why can't you put the tie rod behind the axle? it would be hard to find the arms for a d44/10b, or have them custom made, but i think it would work.

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Drill a 3/4" hole and use grade 9 aerospace quality, the one's I'm using are according to shear strength, nearly twice the strength of grade 8 bolts /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

www.pirate4x4.com, ask, behind the axle dana 44/10 bolt hy steer arms are around.

8. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

this company makes raised steering arms /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    clicky
    i wish i had found them before i bought my flat ones i cant go hi steer because the spring is in the way /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dodge knuckles have the tierod mounted 1.5" higher then chev IIRC

10. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    After talking to Stephen yesterday and finding out that i caint go to hi steer do to 52" springs and zero rates pushing the axle to far foward, has anyone tried to make a spacer that would bolt to the knuckles and raise the hieght of the tie rod???

[/ QUOTE ]

rather than high steer, since your axle is pushed forward (as is mine) why not run double ended arms and mount your tie rod behind the axle?

11. sapper

thats what mine is a dodge, i thought they looked a little higher than those i had seen, pretty much what gave me the idea, something like another inch or two and it would be up there quite a bit.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

can you post pics of your front axle/suspension
    perhaps you can rear high steer it
    or have the arms made so the tierod slips just under the spring pack rather then over it

13. sapper

[​IMG]

This is the only pic i have right now, my suspension is laying on the ground untill i get new bushings /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

You might want to get in touch with Sky Manufacturing. I sent the guy an email asking pretty much the same question, and replied saying that he had arms that would work with the 52's up front. I think (can't really remember) he said his arms swapped the positions of the tie rod and drag link. Send him an email, he replied to mine within a day or two.

Sky Manufacturing.

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Sky's machine my arm to swap the tie rod and drag link /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif