Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poor man's Shackle flip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pookster, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Poor man\'s Shackle flip

Ok guys. So after reading all the stuff on axle wrap with guys who have 4" blocks in the rear (and those who dont), it seems like a shackle flip is the way to go. (besides I wouldnt have to loosen the ubolts).

Of course, we all know ORD makes an excellent one. But what a pain in the butt to drop the Tank then chisle off the rivets. And then I saw the Tech article by Corey Perez about the home made one. Made sense except for one thing:

Why bother removing the whole hanger? Why not just unbolt the shackle, remove the material to fit the shackle through, and then bolt it back on? is there a strength issue here that I dont know about?

what about pinion angles/ spring compression midlines? Any other comments?

Oh yeah, and brake hoses.. can I just drop them, or do I have to get new ones? (I will get new ones when I get the 14FF in.)

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Poor man\'s Shackle flip

I think Corey had a shop torch out the holes and they would not do it so close to a gas tank. I bent the mount up that holds the juction for the brake lines on top of the rear axle housing strait up to make up for the clearance.

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I did mine w/the hangers still on the truck, I removed the shackles, then used a 4" grinder to make the hole. I later cleaned it up w/a torch (basically just opened up the corners a little more). I may have reversed the shackles for clearance (so the hole could be centered), not sure though. Of course it it not the best idea to use a torch that close to the gas tank, however if you do it be extra carefull on the passenger side where the gas filler is.

Pete

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

cool. SO no problems to date?

Yeah, Im not a big torch kinda guy. what I would probably do is drill out the material with a 1/2" titanium bit (maybe 3 times?), then use sawzall to cut out the rough shape, then finish it off with a dremel to smooth the edges out.

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Sounds like a lot of work just so you don't have to drop the gas tank.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

tanks arent harder to drop per se ( I've dropped my share before) but they are a pain (draining), and I've had some of the hoses snap.

Besides which, drilling three holes with titanium bits take 3-4 minutes in all, and a sawzall takes about 1, and a dremel takes 5. But you know how these things go, sometihng always doesnt go according to plan. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

tanks arent harder to drop per se ( I've dropped my share before) but they are a pain (draining), and I've had some of the hoses snap.

Besides which, drilling three holes with titanium bits take 3-4 minutes in all, and a sawzall takes about 1, and a dremel takes 5. But you know how these things go, sometihng always doesnt go according to plan. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I did mine with a 4" grinder also....on the frame....nice clean holes. No problems with brake lines or anything else.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I did mine with a torch and I also added a brace. I did remove the tank to be on the safe side. Look on my webshots to see how I braced it.

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

But if you drop the tank to do the shackle flip. Then you can replace the rubber hoses at the same time. MY hoses were as hard as a rock and cracked too. And the ORD shackle flip looks alot cleaner than some homemade bracket.

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

True true. But read the Subject line again. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.

I've dropped my fuel tank a few times.Just time it right were there is only a couple gallons in it.My brother plans to do the "cheap" flip, too.

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

No problems w/mine. I was gonna gusset it, but never got around to it. Been that way for 6 years, the first couple of which it was my DD, and has seen some pretty serious trails since.

When removing a tank, I generally lower the tank on a floor jack (if its full), then once its time to put it back in, hotwire the fuel pump, and pump all the gas into jerry cans to make it easy to put back in. Of course this only works if you have an in tank pump.

Pete

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Shackle flips probably have almost as much axlewrap as blocks. If you want to kill 'wrap, buy springs.