Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poor old Phord Superduty (the driveshaft fell off)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ancient_4X4, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Ancient_4X4

Ancient_4X4 Registered Member

My uncle bought a 2001 Ford Superduty last spring (Dark Blue, V10, ordered all the bells and whistles) and it had a serious calamity last week. My dad told me yesterday THE DRIVE SHAFT FELL OFF as my uncle was driving down the highway. He said he was driving and he felt some vibrating and suddenly it got so bad he had to pull over. My uncle told him that it was hanging there by one bolt. Is there some sort of recall on this? I know my uncle hasn't abused the truck. My 77' Chevy probably sees more abuse in one week than most trucks ever do and it still has all the original drivetrain and transmission, nothings ever been replaced on it and my mechanic said everything looks good underneath the last time I had it in. My OTHER uncle has an 89' Chevy 3/4 ton that he uses for soil testing and he's had nothing but problems with the drivetrain and he's replaced the front end on it twice because the 4X4 keeps breaking. A friend of mine has a 76 Phord and that thing is great off roading, although it doesn't have any power (2 barrel carb w/360 V8) I've come to the conclusion that all newer trucks are pieces of [censored] when it comes to off-roading. Or maybe just pieces of [censored] period.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nearly all new trucks are pieces of [censored], besides the Ford Superduty because it's the only new truck that comes with four leaf springs and two straight axles.

Your dad's problem is that he didn't get the Diesel. :)

Or maybe that his was built on a Monday and the guy on the assembly line that tightens bolts was hungover that day.

Either way, it's under warrenty, who cares if it falls apart?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. Ancient_4X4

It's not my dad's Superduty it's my uncles. My dad is the one who told me. But, anyways what's so great about stinky diesels? They have no power and sound like a tractor.

4. Ancient_4X4

Wait a minute don't Dodges all come with straight axles still?

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

guess you have only driven CHEVY diesels
    ford and dodge diesels have power

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

A buddy of mine bought a ford 1 ton 4x4 super duty a couple of years ago:
    At 1000 miles the computer went out. A year later he lost the rear end. Followed a few months later by the tranny. He used it for a work truck to service his drill rigs. Sure it was all covered by warrente but. All the time it spent in the shop cost him money. He bought a 85 1 ton chev 4x4 flatbed to pick up the slack when the ford was in the shop. It never skipped a beat. he ended up rebuilding the chev and dumping the POS ford.
    I guess Super Duty means shopping malls with <font color=red>speed bumps.</font color=red>

7. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Say what you want but I would take a Super Duty over a new Chevy any day.[​IMG]

Chad

8. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

^^^^^ me too. that story sounds exactly like like what happened to my buds girlfriends k5. driving along and all of a suppen no more driveshaft. any vehicle can have problems.
    brand loyalty will get you no where. after all ford and chevy dont care about you.

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

The post above that states diesels have no power... That person obviously has not driven a new diesel. They have LOTS of power. This cannot even be argued as not true.

Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

10. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Don't know about you, but 300+HP and 500 Ft lbs of torque is plenty of power for me. [​IMG]
    Mike

The jeep eater ......jeep it's what's for dinner[​IMG]

11. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Obviously you haven't experienced the Duramax! Much more powerful and quieter than the powerstroke!!

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

12. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    The new Duramax diesels are the most powerful diesel in their class as of this year. They beat out the crappy ford and dodge diesels. Plus, coming with the allison tranny, they make for probably the best stock drivetrain. (if only chevy would throw an axle under there again and make it a real truck)

13. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

HUH?! I can't hear you, lemme turn my powerstroke off. Lol, they're no where near as bad as Cummins for noise though. Rumor is that Ford bought Cummins and they will be using there Diesel and Chrysler is going to use some diesel from there beloved ball and chain, Mercedes Benz.

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

14. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, with a few hundred bucks in aftermarket parts, the Powerstroke can pump out 350hp and 700ft lbs. Cummins is not far from those numbers. Will probably be a while before you'll get that from a Duramax. My PSD Crew Cab will keep up with Camaros and Mustangs from 20 to 60 mph. The lack of weight in the back and mass of the truck means a lot of tire smoke off the line though. JT

15. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

i like the ford a chevy deisels but the dodge is sounds like a school bus with a broken rod.

16. Mr.Chevy4x4

You must be talking 6 cylinder Camaro, because there is no way on God's green earth you are hanging with an LS1! Those cars are incredibly fast!
    Isn't that the story of Phord's life: having to be modified to keep up with the stock Chevy!

17. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    exactly my point, the chevy duramax comes stock with 300hp and 512ft/lbs of torque. If you sink the exact same ammount of money into a duramax, you'll have more than 350hp because chevy mods are generally cheaper.

I don't know if your racing camaros with a few cylinders not firing, or the V6's, but your definately not racing a full-on LS1 because those things have about equal that horsepower and weigh about 1/2 of what your truck does

18. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Yes, it does take modifications for any stock work truck to keep up with a sports car. Not just Fords. A Duramax would need mods too, and I have not found anywhere that sells upgrades. My 8000 lbs Superduty will do 0-60 in just under 8 seconds. The camaros can definitey launch better, but when that 27 lbs of boost kicks in, the Ford will put you back into the seat. I know the new cams will do 0-60 it in about 5 secs from a standstill, but the amazing acceleration is after you get the truck rolling. If you haven't been in a modified diesel, you won't understand. JT

PS. Calclips, Check the torque to weight ratio. You can't compare HP numbers because they are a calculation of torque x rpm /5250. A diesel redlines around 3500rpm so you not see high HP numbers. The torque is what you feel when your driving.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ZZ4x4 on 12/14/01 04:53 AM.</FONT></P>

19. Mr.Chevy4x4

You are the one that brought up racing in the "work truck"! Furd and Dodges days of dominance in the diesel market are over. How long has the powerstroke been on the market? Of course there are more aftermarket parts for them. My point was that off the showroom floor the Duramax rules!

20. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

OK, I agree with that. The Duramax is pretty sweet as is.
    JT